Whats wrong with this Rancilio S27?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cruzmisl

#1: Post by cruzmisl »

Hi All,
I sold my S27 to my friend and he called me with a problem. He said when he turns the machine on (from cold) it builds pressure but then as soon as he goes to steam the pressure drops like a stone and he has to wait for it to heat back up again. I know its vapor lock but I'm not sure what part controls it or how to fix it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Yup, sounds like a typical sticky vacuum breaker.
Dave Stephens

cruzmisl (original poster)

#4: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

Is it fixable or just replace it?

Edit: just read the link, I'll replace it :)
Thanks!!
Joe

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

You can take it off and descale it or just replace it. I keep a spare in my parts cabinet, it happens after a few years of use. You could also just try poking the valve (once it is cool) so it drops open and see if it sticks again.
Dave Stephens

JmanEspresso

#6: Post by JmanEspresso »

Simple fix, simple to replace, choice is yours.

you might try fiddling with the little "stick" which pokes up when the vac-breaker seals. Mine was malfunctioning a little while ago, and I bought a new one. Before installing it, I played around with the old, JUST as it was about to seal.

As pressure was building, the stick popped up, but still leaked pressure. I just fiddled it around, and it popped up a bit further. Been working ever since.

Taking it off is relatively easy.. You will probably need a deep socket to reach the bottom of it.. I did at least.

Chris' Coffee sells two different Vacuum Breakers. He has a small, "standard" one, which will fit if there is very low clearance inside. The other one is bigger, but there is a barb connection on the top of it, so you attach tubing to it, and run it somewhere, so any water spits don't spit on electronics or anything like that.