What type of paint to use on Astoria frame

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bardawil

#1: Post by bardawil »

I am rebuilding an Astoria espresso machine, and I am at the point where I need to restore the frame.

What type of paint can I use? I prefer to spray paint the frame because I will be sand blasting and powder coating the panels and I want to stay under budget

Or, maybe, someone thinks it is better to leave the frame as is. If so, how would you clean it?

Thanks, Eric

godlyone

#2: Post by godlyone »

Hey you might want to check this thread out:

Astoria SAE Junior (CMA/Laurentis/RIO) Refurbish Log

I used high temperature enamel spray paint. It is the same one used by people to paint their engines for one reason or another

Psyd

#3: Post by Psyd »

bardawil wrote:I am rebuilding an Astoria espresso machine, and I am at the point where I need to restore the frame.
Well, that frame looks pretty good as is, and isn't really seen when the whole thing comes together. My Astoria came to me just under a year old, and far less than a year in service, and the frame is naked.

Any particular reason that you'd want to paint it in a restoration other than to have that 'wow' factor under the hood?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Ross Leidy

#4: Post by Ross Leidy »

Psyd wrote:Well, that frame looks pretty good as is, and isn't really seen when the whole thing comes together. My Astoria came to me just under a year old, and far less than a year in service, and the frame is naked.
Totally agree. If the frame's in good shape, consider leaving it as-is. If you do choose to paint it, take care to note where the grounds are mounted and mask-off each side of the screw hole. (I used a gasket punch to cut a dot of blue masking tape). Also, I can disrecommend Rustoleum's High Heat Ultra paint. It scratches easily and is not as tenacious as I'd expect it to be. The can says not to use primer, which I didn't, and during reassembly, I have scratched down to metal in a couple places. I'd never use it again.

I'm now looking at options for painting my Mazzer Major, and I'm looking at Hammerite Rust Cap hammered finish paints. It gets high marks for hardness and durability (based on research, not personal experience yet). It might be an option for you.
Ross Leidy

movnmik

#5: Post by movnmik »

bardawil wrote:I am rebuilding an Astoria espresso machine, and I am at the point where I need to restore the frame.

What type of paint can I use? I prefer to spray paint the frame because I will be sand blasting and powder coating the panels and I want to stay under budget

Or, maybe, someone thinks it is better to leave the frame as is. If so, how would you clean it?

Thanks, Eric

<image>
Eric,

The finish on my frame doesn't look near as good as yours and I knew that I would have to spend at least 10 hours to sand it down to bare metal ( to make sure whatever coating method I ultimately used would stick). I decided that hand sanding wasn't in my future and decided to go with the sandblast/powder coating route. The result was great. You can take a look here La Cimbali M30 Dosatron restoration

I was able to get the frame and exterior pieces sand blasted, powder coated and had some new leg nuts welded on to the frame for $185. It was well worth it. Ultimately you have to decide how valuable your time is.

Mike

socalnik

#6: Post by socalnik »

I wouldn't touch that frame. It is more a plating process the factory seemed to have done. It may look good sprayed new for awhile, but keep the factory finish on there if you do anything and don't sand down.

Find a good auto paint supply house near you and see if they have cheaper spray finish cans or will load a custom finish into spray can for you. You'll be much happier, apply to exterior panels as I'd leave that brassy plating alone. Wrestling with same on my machine as the brass plating on the round corner columns in rear facing outwards looks very 80s on mine. If you're in a more major city, ask a body shop where they get their paint and mention what you're doing. Auto paint can get very expensive, but the cheapest auto paint will be better than Home Depot rattle cans. Give you idea, I spend $200+ gallon for my auto paints, but that's something very different and reason I'd be skeptical of those cheap auto paint job ads, my paint costs more than some of those advertised job prices. Seeing some projects on here, I really like a muted clay-quality looking deeper red. Red looks better in pics than I'd have thought, maybe I can get a paint code/match for Ferrari Red, that'd be pretty nice, and may look decent with that brass plating keeping it stock. Hmmm

Juanjo

#7: Post by Juanjo »

I been using high temp spry from Autozone and works great..

when using high temp paint I use a plumber torch to heat up whatever metal I'm about to paint, it make the paint dry faster and IMO stick better..
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc11 ... 0540-1.jpg
cheers,
Juanjo

coffeefrog

#8: Post by coffeefrog »

What are you trying to protect against?
  • Heat? That's not likely to damage the frame.
  • Moisture? The frame appears to be plated already and not rusty. You could use a high zinc paint but its not pretty.
  • Aesthetic pain? For that you need interior decorating advice...
What else?
LMWDP #15