What to do with a CMA/Astoria 110V single group?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

So now I also have a CMA/Astoria pump 110V machine sitting in my living room. I have a very understanding and tolerant girlfriend (for now). Other than a fair bit of dust, and an outboard rotary pump that looks like it was mounted underneath a submarine (and likely needs to be refurbed/replaced), the machine itself looks fantastic. Solid brushed stainless steel panels and everythings complete and not beat to hell. I really quite like the design and layout, and it's only about 4" wider or so than a Cimbali M21. The machine was also completely free. So, no money in it yet :P Seller originally said he'd give it to me to have since it worked, while I worked on getting the Empress rebuilt. Then I went back to pick it up the next day, since I couldn't fit it all in my car at once, and he changed his story to "not sure if it's working or not". He collects espresso machines from closed cafes, Craigslist, etc. I saw no fewer than 6 commercial machines within line of sight not including the Conti Empress.

I don't know how much effort it would require to get it up and running again, since I don't think my circuits could power it up for testing ( element probably puts out 1600-1800 watts?). I have so many things going on at the time, I don't know if I can add one more. New gas drum roaster to play with, Empress to rebuild, now going back to school part time. It's all fun stuff and I'm itching to fiddle with this one too. They aren't the most cherished machines in the world, but they're solid workhorses from everything I've ever read. And this one is clean to boot.

Move it along or start wrenching on it? We need OBDII for espresso machines. Let me hook up to a USB hub and get diagnostics, then decide if it's worth the time and money.

This would be one hell of a machine to have on hand in a home bar that's busy with parties.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Since you got it for free, put it in storage until you have time to give it some attention, even if it is a year from now. I have a feeling the Empress project takes priority. With school and everything else...

I have room in my garage for you. :wink:

Pete
LMWDP #484

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

I have an Astoria two group which I like very well. I would like to make coffee on other commercial lever groups to see if I think the more rare Faema, Conti, LSM, etc have an edge or not. But like the Pavoni it works great so I choose to put time money and effort elsewhere. I'd hold onto it and eventually compare them if you haven't already had espresso from each group.
LMWDP #198

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC (original poster) »

dumpshot wrote:Since you got it for free, put it in storage until you have time to give it some attention, even if it is a year from now. I have a feeling the Empress project takes priority. With school and everything else...

I have room in my garage for you. :wink:

Pete

Hey, I got an idea! I have room for a spare VAM! We can trade! :mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

grchif

#5: Post by grchif »

I'm in the middle of restoring a CMA Astoria 1-grp. It's proving great fun, very easy access - panels all bolt off easily, frame comes apart, boiler has a huge removable brass end plate for access, HX is replaceable etc. I'll put a thread up with pics at some point.

Mines a 230V (UK) model, 2350W. There are plenty of sites with full manuals, cct diagrams etc - I believe the 110V are 2000W. Espresso Parts seems to stock most of the spares, and the manual: http://www.espressoparts.com/Astoriaass-tor-ee-uh

I'm told they run hot so need a decent cooling flush, but otherwise they seem pretty bulletproof.

So easy to disassemble and service I'd say keep it for when you get round to it...

Colin

kaotik78

#6: Post by kaotik78 »

astoria are extremely easy to work on, and very easy to understand internally after you find your way around them. I have a single group 220v that I had completely restored and had great fun doing so. Parts are readily available, even if most seem to mix and match from other models, it's as if CMA/Astoria just uses the same internals and wraps them in a different exterior.

One thing to note though is Astoria's quality control on their copper welding on their boilers, they can be prone to pinhole leaks that will in most reported cases scale up and seal themselves. Dealing with them directly is often difficult as the person on the other end in NC is more like a car salesman rather than a enthusiast.

Mine tends to run hot as well and needs a good flush before shotsas well. Overall give it a good cleaning and fire it up! Post up some pics if you like as well.