What size Steamy Wanda for no-burn steam wands?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ufergus

#1: Post by ufergus »

Does anyone know the right size Steamy Wanda for the no-burn steam wands on the QuickMill Vetrano? 7mm or 9mm? Thanks.
rich

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

If you mean the steam tip, it's in the review.
Jim Schulman

mteahan

#3: Post by mteahan »

The adapter can be had most anywhere, most commonly from the advertisers on Home-Barista. Espresso Parts Northwest or Stefano's Espresso Care have them or can get them, I am sure. Off the shelf catalog item. You can even get adapters to lengthen the wands to whatever you want.

It is 8mm on one side and 1/8 BPPT on the other. More or less. Chromed tips are difficult to seat properly sometimes.
Michael Teahan
analogue | coffee

Beezer

#4: Post by Beezer »

I think he's asking about the Steamy Wanda steam wand cleaner, not an adaptor for the steam tip.

http://www.espressoparts.com/PALLO_SW1-SM

Not sure a Steamy Wanda would work on a no-burn wand though. Wouldn't the teflon tube inside the wand get in the way of the cleaning rod?
Lock and load!

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax »

Eli, you're 100% right about Rich referring to the steam wand cleaner, but I think you're a bit confused on the teflon bit. The Vetrano (and all insulated steam wands) channel the steam inside the teflon tubing, which the tip actually seals around. So the inside of the steam want (the SS part) never gets exposed to steam or milk that is siphoned up into the wand if the pitcher isn't removed quickly after steaming milk and shutting off the steam-only the inside of the teflon tube would be exposed to this, so it's what you'd want to clean.

Which brings us to the gist of Rich's question, which is what the inner diameter of the teflon tubing in the Vetrano is. I honestly don't know, Rich, but having owned a Vetrano I can say from my vague recollection that I don't think it's anywhere near 7 mm, maybe more like 3-4 mm. Maybe a helpful Vetrano owner can confirm this? If you got it from Chris Coffee, you can probably call them and get a tech on the phone... takes all of 2 minutes for a guy with a set of calipers to check.

More generally, Rich, I would ask why you want a Steamy Wanda for the insulated wand? In any of the espresso machines I've owned I've never experienced the siphoning effect unless done on purpose with water. You really have to leave the pitcher there for a bit or actively cool the wand with a rag to get it to start sucking milk up there. Teflon is even less likely to do this, because it's so insulated and because it's... Teflon. I imagine it's a lot less likely to let scalded milk burn onto it.
Nicholas Lundgaard

JmanEspresso

#6: Post by JmanEspresso »

I love Pallo tools, as well as any innovative tool. The Pallo grouphead brush is nice, and the "grind minder" brush sees a lot more use then I thought it would when I got it. The Pallo Wrench, if your someone who needs it, is simple yet effective.

But the steamy wand has always stuck out to me, as something you would need if you dont take proper care of your machine... like the poker on the group brush. If you just give the purge after use, you should never need to scrub the inside walls, or poke the holes clean on the tip.

of course, if you're buying a used machine and want to clean it properly due to the original owners neglect, well, thats a whole different ball game.

mteahan

#7: Post by mteahan »

Put 20cl of liquid frother cleaner into a pitcher of cold water.
Steam until very hot.
Leave it alone for 10-15 minutes, the hot dairy cleaner will migrate well up into the inside of the wand.
Blow out the wand and wipe with a damp cloth.

You will see that the outside of the wand is spotless, even before you wipe it down. That is what the inside of your wand looks like as well. No need to brush it out.

No Burn wands use either silicone or teflon inserts, with the teflon pressed into the tip. Taking them apart makes them problematic to re-assemble over time. Using the liquid frother cleaner is an NSF approved method to clean in place and sanitize.
Michael Teahan
analogue | coffee