What kind of grind for a Krups Novo 964 using a Baratza Vario?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sonata7

#1: Post by sonata7 »

I recently received a free Krups Novo 964 espresso machine and purchased a Baratza vario grinder since I eventually plan to make most of my drinks at home. I want to try to get the most use out of the 964 as possible and also use it as a learning machine (still saving up for that $1,000+ unit). I have done as much reading as possible and have heard people say that the grind can be touchy on the 964. Someone said that it can't be too fine or else it will clog the machine. For the sake of not wasting coffee, does anyone know a grind setting that isn't too fine for the 964 on the vario? If you could be as descriptive as possible I would really appreciate it. I am in the trial and error / I have no idea what i'm doing (for the most part) stage in my barista skills. Thank you!

Joel

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Short version: Whatever setting gets you roughly 1.5 to 2 volume ounces in 30 seconds.

Long version: Each grinder dials in differently, so number settings on the dial are not the same even for the same brand grinder. Before pulling shots you can check if you are in the ballpark by pinching the grind between your fingers. Krups and other brands that use restrictor baskets need a slightly coarser grind than real espresso machines (sorry, but restrictor basket espresso is not quite real, but more like spray can whipped cream. On the other hand, like spray can cream, it's easier to make). For real espresso, you are looking for a granularity finer than salt, but not a powder; for the Krups, anything close to table salt granularity will work OK.
Jim Schulman

sonata7 (original poster)

#3: Post by sonata7 (original poster) »

Thank you for your response -- I'll be doing a trial run as soon as my coffee arrives.

sonata7 (original poster)

#4: Post by sonata7 (original poster) »

Just finished my first run and things turned out really well. For a 10 year old machine, this thing is on par with some of the best espresso i've had (minus the shots pulled by a few baristas). I'm assuming cleaning the machine, buying high quality beans, and the vario+grind have something to do with it. I would take my beginner cup over *$. I'm surprised that such an old machine which doesn't brew real espresso can perform like this. Thanks for the advice about making sure the grind wasn't too fine.