What are my Elektra T3 groups made of?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Everman

#1: Post by Everman »

I'm wondering about what's going on here. I've been soaking the groups on my Elektra T3 in citric acid and the top layer of whatever kind of coating it is, is peeling off. Underneath is a shiny chrome-like surface. But I don't think it's chrome, it seems to be pretty thin with copper underneath. There are a few spots where this shiny surface is worn down to what looks like copper.

I was planning on having the groups re-chromed, however if I strip off this dull layer I think the groups will look pretty nice. Does anyone here know exactly what the groups are made of and what these layers are?
I'm also wondering about the possibility of stripping them down to the base metal, and maybe polishing that up, it might look cool. I have no reservations about experimenting with this machine.

Here's a pic: http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m57 ... 171406.jpg
Thanks for any feedback.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Chrome is only a thin top layer and the final step in chrome plating. The brass (which is what the groups are made of) is nickel plated first, then the chrome adheres to the nickel. What you are seeing is the underlying nickel plate.
Dave Stephens

Everman (original poster)

#3: Post by Everman (original poster) »

Ok, that makes sense. Now I'm curious, what if I polished the brass? It might turn out pretty cool, worst case scenario is I get them chromed.

walshman

#4: Post by walshman »

I thought of taking the group off my Duetto and taking it back to brass but might end up making a mess of it although the brass and chrome will look pretty cool IMO.

Everman (original poster)

#5: Post by Everman (original poster) »

Ya I'm thinking polished brass groups will look cool with the polished stainless steel frame. I will have to research whether I should put some kind of coating on the polished brass. I live right by the beach and things rust/corrode quickly.