Weak steaming problem with Quick Mill Silvano

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zimberto

#1: Post by zimberto »

I have an original (v1) Quick Mill Silvano and I have recently started to have problems with reduced steaming pressure to the point where microfoam is just a pleasant memory. When first starting to steam the pressure is strong but dies off to a consistent weak jet after about 10 seconds.

As some of you might know, the Silvano uses a thermoblock heater for the steamer with an Ulka EAX5 vibe pump. It's a very simple system and I have pretty much verified that there are no obstructions in the pipeline. I have cleaned the nozzle, back-blown the system using compressed air, and removed/disassembled/cleaned the pump. I can blow through all sections of the water path (other than through the pump) with little resistance. I live in a soft water area but have cleaned the system using clear cooking vinegar by flushing with vinegar (fill system with vinegar and let sit for 20 minutes, 3 times).

Given the the simplicity of the system I'm thinking the problem has to be either with the pump or the thermoblock. My next plan is to replace the pump with a new one, since the thermoblock would be undoubtedly more expensive and difficult to find, but I thought I'd post here first to see if anyone had any experience or insights they could share.

zimberto (original poster)

#2: Post by zimberto (original poster) »

Actually, it didn't take me too long after my post to find the root cause. I moved the espresso machine to a different outlet and everything is great. Looks as though I will have to rewire the outlet.

EDIT: whatever magic happened when I tried a different outlet did not hang around. Back to weak again irrespective of outlet. :(

Beezer

#3: Post by Beezer »

I don't know much about the Silvano, but could it be a bad steam thermostat?

Have you tried calling the vendor? If it's Chris' Coffee, they have excellent customer service and should be able to walk you through any problems.
Lock and load!