Water under my espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Lyvyoo

#1: Post by Lyvyoo »

Hello,
I have a Bezzera BZ10, from one year, and last months I notice that some times, under the espresso machine (on back, right side), I find cold water, about 200-250ml. Lately I carefully monitored the entire process of brewing but I saw no water flowing from a strange place. Probably occurs when you are not expecting...

The espresso machine is regularly backflushed with Joe Glo, but never descaled. I use an Everpure Claris softener, and daily I prepare only 3-4 double espresso/cappuccino. The brew pressure was lowering at 9.5 bar (10.5 with blind filter). The grinder is a Vario.

What could be the problem?

Thank you,

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

You'll have to open up the machine and check to see if there are any slow leaks. Slow leaks will build up on the bottom of the machine before they find a hole to fall through. I know because I've dealt with my GICAR flowmeter leaking. It wouldn't leak out of the bottom of the machine predictably, but water was found under the machine. When I opened it up, that's when I found that water was building up inside well before it would pour out of a hole in the base.

EDIT

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but sometimes you just gotta ask. Are you sure it's not excess water that's fallen out the back where you fill the tank? I know I overfill accidentally or if I'm lazy and don't use a funnel I miss very easily...
LMWDP #670

Lyvyoo (original poster)

#3: Post by Lyvyoo (original poster) »

Thanks Spitz.me - I always check the maximum level, at refill.

News! Possible to find the source of leaking - this hose:

Must to find more about this part...

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

Hmmmm You're going to have to open it up. It's possible that it's the opv line that leads back to the tank.
LMWDP #670

mhborstad

#5: Post by mhborstad »

The boiler fill line is routed through a 2.3bar safety valve attached to the "wet" side of the OPV. That hose is the drain in a boiler-overpressure situation. It's in the parts diagram, but it's tricky to follow the hoses between pages :D

A few ways that this might happen. OPV failing maybe, but the auto boiler fill might be more likely... level probe not reporting accurately due to scale? Air in the boiler?

edit: 250ml of water is a lot, and being cold obviously points to the valve leaking while filling the boiler.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

The valve assembly that Matthias describes is a combination boiler safety valve and anti-vacuum valve. This assembly also happens to "house" the pressurestat.

One flexible hose from the valve assembly (the one from the anti-vacuum valve side) returns back to the reservoir along with the pump priming/deaeration valve and OPV relief. These lines happen to "connect" to the reservoir via the same type of "Y" as shown in the pic.

HOWEVER, The "Y" shown in your pic gets its input solely from the boiler safety valve and the "Y" is simply used as a retainer in sorta a backwards arrangement. Crazy, eh? So, if the leak is, in fact, coming from the "Y", this is NOT GOOD. You can go to the Bezzera website (they appear to be down at the moment) and take a look at the BZ10 parts catalog or send me an email and I will send you the BZ10 parts pdf I have. You are about to become a hydraulics expert :)
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Lyvyoo (original poster)

#7: Post by Lyvyoo (original poster) »

Thx for support! So, this is the route of Y hoses, according to the BZ10 parts diagram (http://www.bezzera.it/index.php?option= ... 58&lang=en):

Next, I will put a container under the Y, in order to be 100% sure of the leaking source!

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Hose 19 is from the safety valve portion of the assembly; hose 17 is from the anti-vacuum valve portion of the assembly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com