Water softener basics and recommendations?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
primato

#1: Post by primato »

Does anybode have experience with water softeners, and can anyone give me crash-course in the basics of these things? What units do you recommend?

networkcrasher

#2: Post by networkcrasher »

How hard is your current water supply? Have you read Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ?

arcangel6

#3: Post by arcangel6 »

Hi,

I am about to plumb my new machine (Brewtus III-R) and just placed an order for the item listed below after communicating with Chris Nachtrieb of Chris Coffee. He was extremely helpful in my decision making. I live in an area where the water is pretty hard. I'd highly recommend checking with Chris.

Regards,

Joe

Item #WS6000SYS - Commercial Rechargeable Water (6 Liter)

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Joe, why did Chris recommend this setup over this less expensive setup with the replaceable cartridges?

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... enersystem
Scott
LMWDP #248

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

The big advantage of this one is it's rechargeable which I guess is also it's downside. Now that I've found the cartridges for $8 and figure with the water usage of my machine, I'm glad I got the smaller one.

Ira

networkcrasher

#6: Post by networkcrasher »

One can recharge the smaller softeners too, it's just a bit more work.

Rybolt

#7: Post by Rybolt »

Any recommendations for people with pour over machines?

Do most people just blend distilled with filtered tap water to soften?

jpreiser

#8: Post by jpreiser »

Rybolt wrote:Any recommendations for people with pour over machines?

Not sure about most people but that's what I'm currently doing.

Another option from the Insanely Long Water FAQ:
Use Volvic or Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine water in your home espresso machine. They have formulations that won't scale, but which still taste OK for coffee.

Rybolt

#9: Post by Rybolt »

arcangel6 wrote: He was extremely helpful in my decision making. I live in an area where the water is pretty hard.
Wow, that's a system. Did you consider getting a water softener for your whole house, since your water is so bad. you could have benefited from it more than just your espresso.

Endo

#10: Post by Endo »

Rybolt wrote:Any recommendations for people with pour over machines?

I have a pourover MiniVivaldi. Water softness is CRITICAL for this machine since it has a sealed steam boiler and heater unit.

My water hardness is around 150ppm. I do a double filtering using a Brita filter from the fridge and then a reservoir filter/softener from BestCup in Germany (came with my Vivaldi). I change both filters every 2 or 3 months. This brings the hardness down to 50ppm.

If my water hardness was higher that 150ppm, I'd probably just get a 20L bottle of RO water and mix it with tap water to get 50ppm.
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"