Water input flow and pressure for La Marzocco GS3 and Linea Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JonF

#1: Post by JonF »

The installation guide for the Linea Mini and GS3 call for 45 PSI (3.1bar) and 2 gal/min (8 L per min) inlet water feed if plumbed in. Do any of you run with less than this? I live in the country with well water, the pressure fluctuates. Also, after filtration, there is no way I can get 2 gal per min. I am closer to 0.6 gal/min, which works fine for my Vivaldi II S1.

Just wondering if anyone feeds their GS3 with lower than recommended flow and pressure.

Thanks!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Can't imagine why you would need 2 gallons per minute. The machine will never draw that much. Both of my everyday machines are plumbed in & I'm on a well. I use a 45-60 psi pressure switch on the well control & set the pressure regulator for the machines feed line to 3 bar max.
LMWDP 267

JonF (original poster)

#3: Post by JonF (original poster) »

Thanks John, that was my thought too. Edit: I am at 2 bar pressure. I guess I could always go back to filling the tank if needed. Just asking before I possibly order the Linea Mini.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

But your "well water pump" should feed a rather huge accumulator (bladder tank) ??

And the output from this bladder tank should be regulated to approximately 50 psi for your typical household requirements. Aside from LM recommendations, which I defer to, line pressure to the espresso machine should be further regulated to 35 psi (~2.5 bar) input.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

My well does feed into an accumulator but the household feed is not held at 50 PSI although with the pressure drop I doubt it ever hits 60 psi. My machines are quite happy with 3 bar P/I as am I. Why do you think the machine input needs to be limited to 2.5 b? Lots of folks run 3 bar P/I (or more) with no issues.
LMWDP 267

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Why do you think the machine input needs to be limited to 2.5 b?
I don't, but if it were me, that's what I would do. Since this value can be adjusted ad infinitum, it matters little. The 2.50 bar was solely based on an input from a very knowledgeable friend in Colorado. I do recall that 3.00 bar was the "ideal" value reached by Ken Fox and Jim Shulman during their Cimbali adventures.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

JonF (original poster)

#7: Post by JonF (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the discussion!!

The reason that I have low pressure and low flow is that, along with being on a well system, I am using and RO system. I then use a calcine filter to raise the TDS to about 40, and I am happy with the taste (and the drinking water is great too.)

But back to the original question, the flow rate and pressure seem fine for my Vivaldi, so was just wondering if anyone with a GS3 also has a lower than recommended input flow.

Viernes

#8: Post by Viernes »

So is it possible to run a GS3 from RO tank and have a properly preinfusion, or a flojet is needed?

Billc

#9: Post by Billc »

Please remember that although flow rate and pressure are related, in this case it is more important to have the flow rate. The pump does circulate some water so it needs to have water available for this. Also if steam boiler is filling and you are brewing its a reasonable flow rate of water. If the pump is starved (too low of a flow rate) then the vanes can overheat and crack or pit.

Since the GS3 works on a water reservoir the pressure to the pump is essentially zero but it has a big reservoir of available water.

Bill