Water filters appropriate for espresso machines?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
EspressoGirl

#1: Post by EspressoGirl »

After lots of issues with water in the past, I want to get a more serious filter than the Brita pitcher. I will need to get one that attaches to faucet, rather than to plumbing b/c of apartment rules. Or if there is a great pitcher system (I have heard of a new one called Zero Water that claims to make the equivalent of "purified bottled water" and comes with a TDS meter as well).

I guess you have to consider both what the taste of the water will be and how that affects the espresso taste as well as what is good for your boiler. I don't plan to get an aluminum boiler machine in the future, but all information on how to get non-corrosive water are welcome.

Thanks.

trix

#2: Post by trix »

I have heard that Berkey water filters are good and I hope to get one someday.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeymodels.htm

"The Berkey water filter system is so revolutionary that it removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites to non detectable levels, removes harmful or unwanted chemicals to below detectable levels, and reduces nitrates, nitrites and unhealthy heavy metals such as lead and mercury without removing the healthful and nutritional minerals needed to support a healthy body."
Lucy
LMWDP #166 trix

Advertisement
shadowfax

#3: Post by shadowfax »

There are a number of open topics on this subject:
ZeroWater: New Water Treatment Option for Pourover Espresso Machines
Cirqua AB Formula Packets for Pourover Machines

The Water FAQ provides good information on pour-over filtration options as well.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Eiron

#4: Post by Eiron »

After two decades of using a multi-hundreds-of-dollars solid carbon block system (filters alone cost $120), I replaced it with this smaller version of the same thing for $50. The results are fantastic, but installation is under-sink.

For counter-top applications, I'd definitely go with something like this before spending megabux on any other model.
He's dead, Jim... You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.