Water coming out over top of portafilter and in shot on new Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jerinbrooks

#1: Post by jerinbrooks »

I have a brand new 2 day old rancilio silvia v3. On occasion, not consistently, water spurts out over the top of the portafilter and into my shot. I think I saw it also come out into the shot through the filter as well. I thought of this being a deficiency in the gasket, but it is a brand new machine. Any ideas?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

That's one of Silvia's charms -- she likes the portafilter really tight. I had to break myself of the habit of torquing the portafilter down like a gorilla after I upgraded. Double-check that you've rinsed the gasket clean of coffee grounds and tighten a half to one inch tighter. I used to brace one hand against the machine for leverage.
Dan Kehn

maccompatible

#3: Post by maccompatible »

Yup. Mine did that too. It worried me at first, but a quick search on this board shows (since everyone seems to have had a silvia at some point??) that it's pretty normal.

Good luck!
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

akiley

#4: Post by akiley »

Make sure your grind is fine enough, or you end up trying to put too much coffee in the portafilter. It then hits the screen and counters your efforts to tighten. This happened to a friends recently and the finer grind solved it.

twolane

#5: Post by twolane »

It's a one in a million, but the edge of the basket could have been damaged. Check to make sure the edge that contacts the gasket as the portafilter is inserted is smooth and free from defect.