Want some rating on moka pot for espresso.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coffeedrinker2015

#1: Post by coffeedrinker2015 »

Have not tried moka pot yet. And I'm not really wanting to spend a fortune on high end expensive espresso maker.

So I'm looking on some feedback from users on it's effectiveness in making espresso.

I was using this instant coffee brand for year and the buzz level was consistently good, really crazy high buzz, creativity. And since the brand's quality went bad, I tested other brand and brew coffee, but they are not giving me the same effect.

I don't know how that one instant coffee brand got it so good, their trade secret or something?

Since I don't have an espresso maker right now , I been getting it from cafes like McDonalds and Dunkin Donut for the meantime. Their lattes have actually been notches above normal brew coffee I made at home.

Since I have not trade moka pot espresso yet, I can't really contrast. But have someone tried those café lattes and can give me some contrast between moka pot espresso and café latte so I can get some idea?

I think I got some slight weird taste in my mouth, but not too bad after those café lattes, may be some artificial ingredient, probably can weed that out if I'm making my own with moka pot.

Would I be able to make espresso with equal/higher buzz than those café espressos?

neutro

#2: Post by neutro »

High "buzz" on coffee would simply be more caffeine content I presume. Instant coffee likely has more (only) Robusta content, whereas Arabica coffee is generally preferred taste-wise. Caffeine is bitter so that might be the "slight weird taste" you're talking about.

As for moka pot, it doesn't really make espresso, but it makes strong, oily coffee, is simple to use everywhere and cheap to purchase. As for brands for moka pots, Bialetti is the most well known and they work pretty well. I also have a Forever pot that I like a lot. I've seen plenty of crappy pots that pour really bad. Stainless steel pots are more expensive than aluminum ones but more durable and probably better for your long-term health.

Advertisement
DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle »

If you care to go up the taste ladder from where you are with a mokapot, you might want to consider investing in a grinder that can grind fine enough for espresso, (just set it slightly coarser) and get freshly roasted beans. A medium roast low acidity commercial blend would be a good start. Remember to apply heat to the coffee slowly, otherwise it may taste burnt. Preboil water before you fill the kettle with it, put it on minimum heat after you close it up and stop the heat source when it starts gurgling.
Bert

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

If you're casting about for some other brewing methods that will yield interesting coffee, consider an Aeropress as well. A moka pot will make strong, idiosyncratic coffee that many people like (I'm in that group) and some don't, but as others have said, it's not espresso. If you can find someone with a moka pot (and knows how to use it), you might try before you buy. Ditto an Aeropress. And a French press, frankly, if you haven't used one of those.

Whatever you do, use fresh, good-quality beans and you'll be a lot happier whatever brewing method you settle on.
- John

LMWDP # 577

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

As said, they don't make espresso. I guess you'd call it 'moka' and I was introduced during two trips to Italy staying with my extended family for a couple weeks. Every morning was started with a gurgling moka pot and grew to enjoy it. Everyone there added sugar and thought it a bit strange when I drank it straight. It is estimated that about 80% of Italian households have one.

Looking for a quick and easy way of making decent coffee while camping I picked up my first Moka after that first trip, a rather unique one designed by the Carlo Giannini design house that features a steam whistle to let you know when it's coming to a boil. During my search I started noticing that several had a renown designer's name attached to them. This reawakened the collector's bug and thought it would be a way to get back in at a very modest investment. I've always been interested in industrial design, and Italian Modern especially.

Once in awhile I'll pull one down and make coffee with it just for a bit of variation and to bring back memories of Italy.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters »

cuppajoe wrote:... It is estimated that about 80% of Italian households have one....
I found Moka pots all over Panama when we made our trip there 10 years ago. They are the lead seller in many department/hardware stores.

Espresso_Monkey

#7: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

My friend has a moka pot (I think by Bialetti) that has a small weighted cap on the upper release funnel. This acts like a simple pressure valve, generating a slightly increased pressure before the coffee streams into the upper chamber.

Cool design.

As the others have commented, I find moka pot quite drinkable with freshly ground coffee.
A hand-mill is a low cost entry to home grinding.

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee »

cuppajoe wrote:As said, they don't make espresso. I guess you'd call it 'moka' and I was introduced during two trips to Italy staying with my extended family for a couple weeks. Every morning was started with a gurgling moka pot and grew to enjoy it. Everyone there added sugar and thought it a bit strange when I drank it straight. It is estimated that about 80% of Italian households have one.
I've never been to Italy but have read similar statistics on moka pots in Italian households. Which to me makes sense since in Italy it's easy to go just about anywhere, even gas stations so I've heard, and get a consistent Italian style shot of espresso. Why spend thousands of bucks on espresso gear for home when you don't have to? Just walk half a block or less. There's a reason Charbucks isn't in Italy...yet...or so rumors go.
Mike McGinness

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

Another reason might be that a shot runs about 1 euro +/- in most places and large parts of the population start their day at the local coffee bar, where everyone knows everyone including the proprietors. And they are ubiquitous. American style corporate fast food is a hard sell over there, even after making concessions to local tastes. Most go to MDs for the novelty.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

cuppajoe wrote:As said, they don't make espresso. I guess you'd call it 'moka' and I was introduced during two trips to Italy staying with my extended family for a couple weeks. Every morning was started with a gurgling moka pot and grew to enjoy it. Everyone there added sugar and thought it a bit strange when I drank it straight. It is estimated that about 80% of Italian households have one.

Looking for a quick and easy way of making decent coffee while camping I picked up my first Moka after that first trip, a rather unique one designed by the Carlo Giannini design house that features a steam whistle to let you know when it's coming to a boil. During my search I started noticing that several had a renown designer's name attached to them. This reawakened the collector's bug and thought it would be a way to get back in at a very modest investment. I've always been interested in industrial design, and Italian Modern especially.

Once in awhile I'll pull one down and make coffee with it just for a bit of variation and to bring back memories of Italy.
<image>
My experiences exactly! Family in Italy used Moka Pots and Cafe's for milk drinks.

BTW, what is that spherical topped moka pot??!!!? Very cool looking and I want one :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train