Waiting at home... La Marzocco GS/3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MichaelF

#1: Post by MichaelF »

So......

Last night made counter space for my new arrival - GS/3. It's on the truck from Toronto (I'm in Montreal). Delivery promised for today. I seem to have woken up "sick" so can't go to the office today, amazing coincidence.

My plumber is coming end of week, so will have to suffer using reservoir for a few days. Life is tough!

My wife actually asked me last night, "...what if you don't like the new espresso machine?". I just gave her a strange look and told her it's a GS/3! She smiled and patted me on the head. Good women...puts up with me!

Michael
Michael

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

Congratulations on a very nice machine and an even nicer wife!

Now go get your grinder cleaned and ready, coffee staged, cleaning cloths at the ready, cups and saucers cleaned and ready... :mrgreen:
LMWDP #445

MichaelF (original poster)

#3: Post by MichaelF (original poster) »

Cleaned the blade last night on the grinder.............
Michael

#4: Post by MichaelF (original poster) »

Last night bought the domain name "La-Marzocco-gs3.com". Every espresso machine needs a domain and email address. Need to get going on the website eventually.
Michael

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I'm not a lawyer, but it's likely that "La Marzocco" is a protected trademark and they may have an issue with your domain name choice. Apparently michaelf.com is for sale. :roll:
Dan Kehn

cartier007

#6: Post by cartier007 »

Congratulation !!! You should have a great time with your new toy.

Sylvain

#7: Post by MichaelF (original poster) »

I would assume that if the domain name is available for purchase, it sb ok. Bought it from Hover, very reputable (owned by Tucows) Not for commercial use. I think it works because of the dashes. Just for the fun of it, I'll check with a lawyer friend that is knowledgeable.

It's a bit of a thing with me and domains. I have a 1977 fiat, bought the domain spider124.ca

Can you figure out this one. uraqtpie.com? :)
Michael

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

MichaelF wrote:Can you figure out this one. uraqtpie.com? :)
Wer're anal.. not illiterate! :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

[creative nickname]

#9: Post by [creative nickname] »

HB wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but it's likely that "La Marzocco" is a protected trademark and they may have an issue with your domain name choice.
It all depends what he uses the site for. Trademark law is designed to prevent consumer confusion arising from conflicting uses of a mark in commerce. If he just puts together a fan site, and doesn't sell any products, than in theory there shouldn't be a trademark problem. However, some courts have not been as careful about this distinction as they should in the context of internet domain names, so he if does operate a website with that name, he does face some risk of a lawsuit:
Domain Names

Using someone else's trademark in your domain name is a risky proposition because courts do not necessarily extend the same protections to domain names as they do to commentary, criticism, and news reporting. Early on in the development of Internet law, many cases held that websites could not use a company or organization's trademark in a confusingly similar domain name, even if the website accessible under that domain name criticized the trademark owner, and its content made clear that it was not sponsored by or affiliated with the trademark owner. The reasoning was that a critic has no free speech right to confuse Internet users into thinking that they are entering someone else's website in order to expose them to a critical message.

However, there is a new trend in the cases towards allowing "gripers" and other critics to use domain names that are nearly identical to the trademark owner's trademark, so long as the underlying website does not confuse Internet users into thinking it is affiliated with the trademark owner and it does not engage in commercial activity. For example, in Falwell v. Lamparello, 420 F.3d 309 (4th Cir. 2005), the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals denied a trademark infringement claim based on the defendant's use of the domain name "fallwell.com" in connection with a website criticizing the social and religious views of the Reverend Jerry Falwell. The court held that it "must look not only to the allegedly infringing domain name, but also to the underlying content of the website" and concluded that, when viewed in this context, the defendant's use of the domain name created no likelihood of confusion. In TMI Inc. v. Maxwell, 368 F.3d 433 (5th Cir. 2004), the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals denied a trademark dilution claim based on the defendant's use of a developer's trademarked name in her gripe site's domain name. The court determined that the defendant's site was noncommercial because it was dedicated to critical consumer commentary and did not host advertising or links to commercial sites. The court did not treat the domain name as separate from the underlying website, and so it dismissed the entire dilution claim.

It is still not clear which view of the law will prevail. One way to help yourself avoid trademark liability is to include something in the domain name itself that makes it clear that you are criticizing or commenting on the trademark owner, such as a "sucks" designation. This brings the domain name back within the category of commentary and criticism and makes your First Amendment arguments more persuasive. For example, in Taubman v. Webfeats, 319 F.3d 770 (6th Cir. 2003), the court held that the defendant's use of the domain name "taubmansucks.com" was "purely an exhibition of Free Speech, and [federal trademark law] is not invoked." Similarly, in Bally Total Fitness Holding Corporation v. Faber, 29 F. Supp.2d 1161 (C.D. Cal. 1998), the court held that the defendant's use of "ballysucks" in a sub-domain for a website engaging in critical commentary did not constitute trademark infringement or dilution.

Domain name disputes often involve cybersquatting claims under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. For details, see the Cybersquatting section.
Source: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/using-trademarks-others

So maybe changing it to La-Marzocco-GS3-lovers.com, or some such term indicating that it is just a fan-site, would be enough.
LMWDP #435

dogjamboree

#10: Post by dogjamboree »

Hi Michael,

You probably already know this, but if you're going to plumb the water line, it's good practice to plumb the drain as well. Generally the o rings start leaking slowly when they wear out, but I've talked to a few unlucky owners who woke up to a flooded kitchen.

In my case even with a plumbed drain I had a small issue. Over time sludge clogs the drain, and I woke up to about a cup of water on my hardwood floors as it had been a while since I'd snaked the drain. Enjoy!