Vibiemme JR HX won't heat, pressurestat?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fishll

#1: Post by fishll »

Hello all, I have had the Jr for two years now and have been happy with it until now. The other day the machine refused to get hot. I turn it on, power light comes on, boiler heater light will flash once and go off. It has done this in the past but would eventually start to heat up and come to normal temp. Though today it will not get hot.

I am wondering if the pressure stat is stuck and not signaling the heater to come on? I have check all wires/connections and everything is in place and clean. I have also checked the red button on the safety thermostat and it appears to be depressed/never popped up.

I am willing to take the pressure stat out to clean or replace, I was just looking for some direction from you folks first. Thank you for your time.

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If you have a multi-meter, I would start by testing continuity of the heating element. If continuity, then next I would bypass the pressure stat and see if it heats up. If it doesn't heat up, then I would bypass the safety thermostat. Is there a thermal fuse inline as well? If so, then next bypass that and see what happens. Make sure you unplug before jumping, don't be touching the inside or case when you plug it back in, get ready to unplug quickly if something goes poof. Maybe someone else has better ideas.

fishll (original poster)

#3: Post by fishll (original poster) »

To add to the confusion, I tried to start the machine today. Again no heat, though the pump activated as usual to fill the boiler. After a few moments the pressure gauge shot up and water sprayed out of the top of the boiler. I immediately turned the machine off. Maybe this will help lead to a solution, or possibly confuse you as it has confused me. Any help would be appreciated.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Post some pics of the internals of your machine as there are, I believe, some variances depending upon production date.

The pressurestat, on this machine, typically operates an electro-mechanical relay so either of those two components could be at fault.

Further advice could depend on how handy you are with a multi-meter.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

fishll (original poster)

#5: Post by fishll (original poster) »

Thank you both for the replies. I have attached a photo of both sides of the machine, please let me know if more detailed photos are necessary. As far as electrical work, I would say it is something I am unfamiliar with, though I am able to follow directions and more than willing to learn/purchase/borrow a multi-meter.

I appreciated any assistance. Thank you.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

The fact that the boiler overfilled and caused the safety valve to open is NOT good news. That, to me, is a separate problem from "no heat".

Post a pic of the top of the machine with the reservoir and reservoir support off.

I see some alternatives here: Go to the 1st-line website (I presumed you purchased from them) and check out their list of authorized repair centers. You could also take a field trip to Washington DC and I will be glad to repair the machine. My contact info is below my sig.
Skål,

Eric S.

fishll (original poster)

#7: Post by fishll (original poster) »

I was hoping it might not be a big job but, it never is. Please ignore the flash

petr0x

#8: Post by petr0x »

Hi,

overfill problem: seems to be separate issue. When have you lastly descaled the boiler? The boiler level probe could be dirty. I suggest to remove the probe manually (uncsrew it from boiler) and check/clean it. Also check the connections to probe and boiler grounding wire - this one goes on top of the boiler (yellow/green wire). Best is to remove connection, clean both surfaces and put back.
When removing the probe (I cannot see it on your photos, but you probably know how it looks), there are 2 screws, one smaller inside the bigger one. I am not sure about dimensions on your machine, but mine were 12mm and 19mm. Loose the smaller one and remove, then remove the PTFE white isolation - maybe you will also need to turn it counter-clockwise, if it has thread. And lastly remove the bigger screw. Then you will see if the probe has scale deposits - then clean them and also clean and dry the PTFE isolator!

heating: Check the swithes which Joe mentioned. It must be one of these: pressurestat, thermal safety switch or heating element. Bypassing the switches you will see if it starts to do something.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

The first problem to be attacked is the boiler overfilling. The boiler level probe is shown below.

Remove the probe and clean the sensing end with grit paper. Remove the probe fittings and syphon about two cups of water from the boiler. Reinsert the probe to the same depth and make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight. Turn the machine on and see if the pump stops when proper level is reached.
Skål,

Eric S.

fishll (original poster)

#10: Post by fishll (original poster) »

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies and sorry for such a delayed response, I have been very busy.

I have since tried to remove the boiler probe, though had much difficulty. I was able to remove the wire off the back, and loosen the top nut. Though it seems like I was missing something or maybe there is a trick. The probe would come up a few inches, the white plastic collar would stay in place, and then the probe felt like it would stick. No matter what it would only come up so high and not completely out. Any ideas?

On another note I did clean the boiler ground with a bit of sand paper and reinstalled the wire. Upon starting the machine it acted exactly as before. The machine came on, the boiler light flashed once and nothing.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Also erics, if there was a way for me to get to DC I would bring it to you asap. Unlorturnaly I am working a lot, too much to allow a drive up to you.