Vibiemme Domobar Super - sudden pressure drops / pump noise change during shots - Page 8

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bex (original poster)

#71: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Pulled the mushroom tonight and there was a ring of green gritty stuff around the bottom of the mushroom, and a bit more of it near the top.

I was not able to stop and get any citric acid, so I cleaned what I could. eric, I couldn't see little holes in the outside of the mushroom, but I think it's because I must not be looking in the right place.

I replaced the mushroom and powered the machine on, hoping for different behavior. No dice - nearly the same behavior as before. I say nearly, because there is this change: before the pressure ramp to 8 bar was immediate (flip lever, needle goes to 8 immediately, blind filter or no filter). Now, it still gets to 8 bar, but it's not immediately. It takes about a second or so - noticeable difference. Ramp up to brew pressure then occurs, which was hitting 10 bar instead of 9.5. So same behavior, with little differences.

erics
Supporter ★

#72: Post by erics »

In this post: Vibiemme Domobar Super slow flow rate? there are flow numbers, pressures, and a drawing of a grouphead showing you the location of the "4 holes."

While it is a little difficult to imagine that a partially clogged gicleur screen can do what it did in the referenced post, the results speak for themselves (and I'm sure the owner was happy).
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Bex (original poster)

#73: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Did some testing this morning. Right now it's pumping out 2 oz in 13 seconds, so definitely far off from the expected volume. Pressure response is the same as noted in the last post.

Wiping the scale from the mushroom (apparently) caused a change in performance. If you watched the video, you saw how long it took to flush down to 200 degrees, and how the temperature did not drastically drop during the shot. Last week - well before removing the OPV screw and the current "8 bar" situation - I lowered the pstat to 1.1 after discussions with eric. That led to the grouphead idling around 207 instead of 213, but the flushes still took a very long time and there were no drastic drops during the shot - in other words, if I started the shot at 200, it would spike to 204-5, then fall to 198 over the shot.

Today, the flush was very rapid - twice as fast as I am used to. The grouphead was idling at 207. When I started the flush, temp jumped up to 211ish, which is normal for me, but immediately began to fall, and I'd say that after 5 ounces it had fallen to 200 (incidentally, I think this lines up with what I expected from VBM). So I pulled the shot at 200 as I have been doing, and the temperature plummeted to 194 by the end of the shot. The next shot I only flushed to 204 and the shot ended at 198.

I did not try straight espresso but the cappas were better.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the descale. None of the grocery stores in my area had sour salt / citric acid in stock, so I've ordered some from CafeIKE's link.

mhoy

#74: Post by mhoy »

Nice to hear your flush has gotten back close(r) to normal.
Bex wrote:...
None of the grocery stores in my area had sour salt / citric acid in stock, so I've ordered some from CafeIKE's link.
I know what you mean, I tried a couple of different Safeways, Whole Foods, two drug stores and then finally settled on driving to the Brew Supply store.

Mark

quar

#75: Post by quar »

erics wrote:Just another data point - this same "problem" occurred with Anita this morning and I LOVED IT. About 1/3 of the way through the shot, brew pressure instantly dropped from ~8.5 to 7.0, the vibe pump sounded dead quite.
Yes! That's the same thing that my Anita has started doing intermittently. I was afraid to let the shot keep going, but loved the sound.

Any further insight on what is causing this?

Mike

erics
Supporter ★

#76: Post by erics »

The only culprit that comes to mind (at the moment) is an intermittently leaking boiler fill valve. See here:

Certainly the inlet to the boiler fill valve is subjected to pump discharge pressure whenever a brew cycle is initiated.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Bex (original poster)

#77: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Wow.

I bought some white vinegar and soaked the mushroom & gicleur screen per instructions eric sent me.

Reassembled, and the pressure gauge now shows normal performance: initial pressure starts at 4ish and ramps up to the set pressure (almost 10 in this case).

Additionally, the flow is hitting the standard parameter that eric provided - 2 oz in 8 seconds.

I will try espresso in the morning but am very encouraged.

I am not qualified to say whether the "pressure drop/noise drop" seen at the start of the thread - which has disappeared during the pendency of the "immediate 8 bar pressure" issue - was also caused by scale, but I am tending at this point to write the whole thing off to a buildup of scale.

I will report more in the coming days. I have some citric acid arriving soon and will do a full descale. If the "pressure drop" issue does not reassert itself, it looks like we've found our culprit.

Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread, especially CafeIKE and erics.

Bex (original poster)

#78: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Observations from this morning:

We aren't done yet. Came down this morning and the machine was at 173 degrees. Had to flush some water to "wake it up" and make it come up to temperature. I am just going to assume internal scale is causing this issue, just like the rest.

3 shots pulled, plus two blind backflushes, no pressure issues.

Had to make major grind adjustments (5 to 4.5 on my CMH) to pull a good shot. But that shot was great.

Randy G.

#79: Post by Randy G. »

Bex wrote:We aren't done yet. Came down this morning and the machine was at 173 degrees. Had to flush some water to "wake it up" and make it come up to temperature. I am just going to assume internal scale is causing this issue, just like the rest.
I have experienced that about three times. If the machine is left on, idling for a while, the HX and thermosyphon system goes into some sort of a state of thermal equilibrium (WOW! From an art major, no less!) that stops the flow of water circulating through the HX and the brewhead cools. Flushing, waiting, flushing, repeat will get things going again. So, that may not have been caused by the scaling problem but might even be a sign that you have removed enough scale that the machine is operating closer to normal now! or not... remember, this is from an art major! :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Bex (original poster)

#80: Post by Bex (original poster) »

Thanks Randy - that's very helpful (and said in a way an English Major can understand. :))