Vibiemme Domobar JR w/ PID - Temperature offset between group and boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lambchop

#1: Post by lambchop »

So I've been seeing more and more posts about the Vibiemme Domobar JR so it looks like the machine is getting a little more popular. I was curious as to what everyone found was their sweet spot for temp on the PID. I've been having some issues finding the right temp. FYI, I'm currently using Zoka Palidino beans and usually purchase Black Cat.

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

There is no sweet spot for an e61 PID DB. General rule of thumb is 22 ±2°F above brew temperature. Brew temperature and profile vary with the environment. Different coffees require different temperatures.
To accurately determine group temperature, use Eric's adapter.

expy98

#3: Post by expy98 »

regarding offset... using Eric's group thermometer, I recall the offset was +20F (i.e. 220F on PID for 200F on group thermometer) on the first shot, and decreasing to +18F by shot 3 and stabilizes there.

lambchop (original poster)

#4: Post by lambchop (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies guys. My best guess was somewhere between 20-30 degrees which seems to vary with the ambient temperature of the house. I was trying to avoid buying erics thermometer as I would think I would really only use it a couple of times. I'm sure it would be worth every penny but I (read my wife) find it hard to spend a hundo on something I'll only use a few times at best.

Either way, thanks again for the replies guys!

expy98

#5: Post by expy98 »

you're likely to use it every time you pull a shot imo, not just
once or twice and never again. At least I did...

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

lambchop wrote:I was trying to avoid buying erics thermometer as I would think I would really only use it a couple of times. I'm sure it would be worth every penny but I (read my wife) find it hard to spend a hundo on something I'll only use a few times at best.
Yeah, I only use my two a few times... a DAY

Put it to the warden wife like this : It's possible to travel without a GPS, but who does? You are as lost without Eric's adapter as you are in Las Vegas with a 5 year old map.

lambchop (original poster)

#7: Post by lambchop (original poster) replying to cafeIKE »

LOL...I like! Looks like I'll be getting one here in a few weeks (prob Xmas or right after). I'll update this thread when I get it for all the others that bought the Jr.