Vibe pump vs Rotary - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zin1953

#41: Post by zin1953 »

In the land of real world experience, I have yet to suffer a pump failure using a vibe pump. (Sorry, Jon; your failures are real, to be sure, in your life, but are not indicative of vibe pumps in life generally.)

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with a rotary pump, either . . . at least in an espresso machine. Any and all problems I've experienced with rotary pumps were within a winery -- where they did break down rather frequently, but only during the harvest . . .

My own personal preference is for rotary, but only due to the noise factor. I've yet to discover any sort of qualitative difference.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Juanjo

#42: Post by Juanjo »

most of my espresso machines were vibe, including 2 HX (Pasquini Livia90 and Mini Grimac) and the last 3 rotary (Grimac One Group, Elektra La Delisiosa[project] and SanRemo Capri) and in my opinion hands down rotary pump are "better".

probably is nothing you'll see "in the cup", but they are a pleasure to use.. super silence and a lot more friendly in those descaling days..;)

Juanjo
cheers,
Juanjo

Endo

#43: Post by Endo »

In my opinion, the extra $300 (~ +20%) that is invested in the rotary water pump system is misplaced (since it makes no difference in the cup). As a home user, I could care less how it sounds or if it can produce 100 back-to-back shots without overheating.

The right place for the machine designers to be investing the extra $300 would be in improving the brew head, dispersion and basket design (since these things actually make a taste difference). I think Dalla Corte has the right idea with the Mini (but like most new designs, the price is still a bit too high).

As long as buyers encourage the designers to take the "easy" design route and simply shoe-horn in 50 year old technology that makes no difference in the cup (like the E-61 as well), they will continue to design it that way.

In my opinion, the rotary pump is nice, but overkill at home. But if anyone is interested in a fancy pump, I'll gladly sell you a Rocketdyne Pump that will make you the envy of the HB world. :lol:
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

zin1953

#44: Post by zin1953 »

Endo, while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, bear in mind that others may, and in fact, do disagree. All things being equal, I would prefer to have a rotary pump in my home espresso machine. Now, I never would have said that until I actually had one. Indeed, like you (and many others here), my initial thoughts were along the lines of how loud can it be or who cares how loud it is -- it's only on for 20-30 seconds and so on . . . Keeping in mind, I had machines with vibe pumps for nearly 30 years, the noise level of the vibe pump only seemed loud to me in comparison once I got my rotary -- and now, every time I use my vibe-equipped machine (which I do five days a week; it now resides in my office), I am struck by how loud it is . . .

Also, keep in mind the noise level of the vibe pump in a Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic is indeed quieter than the noise level in many "prosumer" machines (bigger pumps, I suspect).

No difference in the cup. None. But, for lack of a better term, there is the "live with" factor, and pulling 4-5 doubles in the morning can get really, really loud! :wink:

BTW, when I had my Gaggia, I too never worried about "if it can produce 100 back-to-back shots without overheating." Friends came over, and I made coffee after dinner using drip or a press pot -- I never turned the Gaggia on. Today, as long as we're a party of 12 or less, I can make everyone an espresso or cappuccino . . . at least I can offer, which is something I never would have dreamed of doing with a Gaggia/Rancilio home machine . . . .

Cheers,
Jason

TimEggers

#45: Post by TimEggers »

I think we can agree that the rotary is more luxury than necessity. Justifiability is highly subjective. (I'm not knocking luxury). :wink:
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

malachi

#46: Post by malachi »

Depends on what you're doing with your machine.
I would never (for example) rely on a vibe pump machine in a catering situation (much less a cafe scenario).

And fundamentally (by your logic) a pump is a luxury. After all, a lever works fine.
What's in the cup is what matters.

TimEggers

#47: Post by TimEggers »

Exactly Chris. I was speaking from the perspective of home use. With regard to the luxury comment folks comment mostly on how quiet rotaries are, my point is that vibe or rotary they both essentially pump water (a very simplistic point). Since there is no (as far as I've seen) documentation proving one is superior in the cup I'll tend to think folks go rotary for the luxury of a quiet machine. Very general comments for sure I should have clarified.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

zin1953

#48: Post by zin1953 »

Tim, I agree, and context is everything. I am very fortunate to be able to afford the machines I have purchased over the years, and never lose sight of the fact that for many people a moka pot is all they can afford. (Look how many posts that ask for a great espresso machine for around $100.) What is essential to one person is indeed a luxury for someone else.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I consider a rotary pump as essential, but it certainly is preferable . . . for me. :wink:

Juanjo

#49: Post by Juanjo »

water wand do even less "in the cup"
the gauges in the machine!?
those are also luxuries.. but no one seems to care of paying few extra bucks for them..

even if is just because they are more silence and last longer than vibe.. Rotary Pumps ARE BETTER.. is so hard to admit that.!
cheers,
Juanjo

TimEggers

#50: Post by TimEggers »

Your argument is flawed Juanjo. This is a debate on types of pumps, not on pump versus no pump. Your analogy doesn't apply unless you want to debate types of gauges or types of water wands (I do not).

And no I won't say that one pump is always better than the other one because (like its been repeated here) it depends on its application, is that so hard to admit? :wink:

*edited for spelling error
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202