Vibiemme DoubleDomo static relay making faint crackling noise when energizing hot water boiler

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
dgkula

#1: Post by dgkula »

So while I have the machine open I was looking at the other components and noticed that the static relay in the bottom of the machine makes an ever so faint electric 'crackling' noise when switching power to the main boiler.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
David

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

I would check the security of the electrical connections to this solid state relay (SSR). To the best of my knowledge, an SSR is silent.

The Vibiemme Double Boiler machine is reviewed and would be a good read for you in addition to the other articles on this site: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

You should post a pic of the internals of your machine.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

dgkula (original poster)

#3: Post by dgkula (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. The faint crackling has gone away over night - my guess is that there was residual moisture in the SSR enclosure that was boiling off the contacts in tiny quantities.

I have seen Randy's site - it definitely factored into my decision to buy this machine and mine looks just like his pictures on his site - the picture that he posted of the internals is how I confirmed that I re-wired the pstat correctly.

Now my water circuit is running perfectly. I am assuming that a new Jaeger pstat will get the steam circuit running again.

All I have left to do now is plumb her in. I've been lazy doing this as it will require drilling a hole in a granite countertop which I am somewhat reluctant to do.

Thanks,
David

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

If you have any matching granite (or can get some) have a pro drill a stepped hole and make you a plug to fit it in case you move the machine and no longer need the hole.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

dgkula wrote: All I have left to do now is plumb her in. I've been lazy doing this as it will require drilling a hole in a granite countertop which I am somewhat reluctant to do.
Depending on where your machine is located, you could run the water and drain lines through the backsplash and down the inside of the wall and into the kitchen cabinet below. Plumbing in is easy, it is the drain out that can be tricky.
Dave Stephens

dgkula (original poster)

#6: Post by dgkula (original poster) »

Good call. Probably easier to replace a tile in the backsplash than a hole in the granite! Thx