Value of used Astoria Divina / Mazzer Super Jolly, cost to restore?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Zmaca9

#1: Post by Zmaca9 »

Whats going on ladies and gents, I was hoping someone could help me out with some espresso machine questions....

I work for a general contracting company and we do a lot of demos n such. Last year we cleared out a old coffee shop in downtown for a bigger restaurant to occupy the space. They left behind some coffee blenders and espresso machines. They have been sitting in our warehouse for sometime and after asking my bosses if I could have them to maybe restore and sell or give to my mother they said yes.

I have:

Astoria - Super Jolly Timer - Excellent Condition

Astoria - Divina SAE / 1 Automatic - Okay Condition (scratches on the side paneling)

I guess my main questions are what are they worth and how much would it cost to restore the espresso machine? I would love to give it to my mother for her bday or maybe sell it as is if it cost too much to restore.

- Z

allon

#2: Post by allon »

The major cost is time.
Guess about $150 or so in parts.
You'll need new seals for the machine and new burrs for the grinder. And lots of cleaning.

Parts are available and the machine is moderately easy to work on.
LMWDP #331

benhogan

#3: Post by benhogan »

They arent worth very much, :wink: but as a favor to fellow coffee lover I'll toss you a couple twentys for both and you can get your mom something at the store. :lol:

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

You scored. My understanding is that picking up a used Mazzer SJ in the $300-$400 range is considered a deal, or at least a fair market price. That's a high quality grinder. I don't know anything about the relative value of the espresso machine. You might try the advanced search options on eBay.

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends »

benhogan wrote:They arent worth very much, :wink: but as a favor to fellow coffee lover I'll toss you a couple twentys for both and you can get your mom something at the store. :lol:
Well now, that's not very Christian Christian.

skydragondave

#6: Post by skydragondave »

Hi Zac,
The value of your espresso machine is entirely dependent on condition. Condition cannot be judged by outward appearance, as we all know commercial machines operate in harsh, fast-paced environments and their cladding materials are appropriately resilient that they look presentable for a very long time. However, if a machine is used without regular maintenance, it can suffer severe internal damage in a very short time. I always bring a digital multimeter and a digital videoscope to inspect the electrical system and the boiler internals to assess the level of scaling and other damages. If you can fill the boiler to the appropriate level and plug it in to test it, you may be able to at least determine whether it is operable. If it is, its value will be raised significantly. However if you must sell the machine without being able to demonstrate that it is operable, do not expect to get much for it. I will not pay more than a few hundred dollars for a machine with known issues that cannot be powered-up. Good luck
LMWDP #433

russel

#7: Post by russel »

Zmaca9 wrote: I have:

Astoria - Super Jolly Timer - Excellent Condition

Astoria - Divina SAE / 1 Automatic - Okay Condition (scratches on the side paneling)

I guess my main questions are what are they worth and how much would it cost to restore the espresso machine? I would love to give it to my mother for her bday or maybe sell it as is if it cost too much to restore.
The Super Jolly is a keeper as long as your mother doen't minds pretending to be a barista while thwacking away at the doser paddle. The Divina is more difficult. It's a big machine to have in a home, big enough to have to be left on all day long (this actually uses less electricity than getting it to heat up twice). It probably requires plumbing in and out. Unless your mother is a serious home barista I wouldn't think it the best gift. I'd recommend selling it if you can. As long as it works, I wound't bother restoring it before sale. The market for used single group commercial machines is pretty soft in most places. You are more likely to find someone looking for a fixer upper than you are a small business willing to take on a used machine without a warranty or service contract. I think you might get between $500 and $1000 for it, assuming it works right now. If you can hit the high end of that range, I would take the money and run right out and get your mom a nice new Cuadra.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

miamichillin99

#8: Post by miamichillin99 »

I currently own your exact same setup and it's incredible. Don't sell it. Clean it up and you will be amazed what it can do for you. I spent about a few hundred on both to get the fully operational. The main thing that goes bad on the Divina is the CPU and it costs over 400. Luckily you can still use it without, just without some bells and whistles, i.e. autofill, tea, and automatic dispensing. If you need help feel free to ask. Also you can read my journey with the Divina here:
Astoria Divina SAE rebuild and deep cleaning [COMPLETED]