V vs S begins (Vesuvius vs Slayer) - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Compass Coffee (original poster)

#11: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Interesting feature of the Slayer is there is no hard power switch and no electronic soft power off/standby/power save method. I couldn't find a way in the user guide so called this afternoon and confirmed I wasn't missing something. In other words there is NO way to turn off or manually put in power save mode. That said when (and only when) timer M-F and/or SS on/power save is setup if in power save mode and you wake it up (simply tap the paddle) will go back to sleep after 1/2 hour of inactivity. Must set schedule first or always stays fully on. And never fully turns off, always power save with reduce boiler temps 10 minutes or so to be back up ready. Unless unplug from the wall of course! I believe this is in keeping with Slayer's minimalist approach to what is arguably an advanced complex commercial class machine. At first thought it kind of nuts but have accepted their approach as acceptable and in keeping with staying away from when most major failures occur - during power on and heat up from cold.
Mike McGinness

spressomon

#12: Post by spressomon »

Mike,
Relative to no on/off switch do you know if there would be any issue (Slayer side ;)) with using an on/off timer?

Thanks for the excellent 411...I've been on the fence about a new Slayer 1-group or Synesso 1-group...damn decision making anyway :D
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
Compass Coffee (original poster)

#13: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Mike,
Relative to no on/off switch do you know if there would be any issue (Slayer side ;)) with using an on/off timer?

Should be the same as unplugging, leaving unplugged for x time, plugging back in. The question becomes what state does an already setup Slayer return to when power applied. I cannot answer that at the moment because I haven't unplugged it since first plugging in Saturday. One would assume it would return to it's previously programmed state. But I assume nothing and will test and get back to you.
Thanks for the excellent 411...I've been on the fence about a new Slayer 1-group or Synesso 1-group...damn decision making anyway :D
You are welcome. Different approaches to achieving similar if not the same excellent results. Flip a coin! I will say Synesso display much easier to see and not potentially blocked by cups. My decision was because currently leasing the house so outboard pump placement and especially 220v run was not realistic.
Mike McGinness

michael

#14: Post by michael »

How's the slayer compared to the gs3 strada mod

Can you do a short like/dislike; can you do the long slayer style preinfusion on the moded gs3 8)

Bob_M

#15: Post by Bob_M replying to michael »

Im new to this discussion but I currently have a single group slayer and recently had a GS/3 with strada mod. I could do a preinfusion as long and at as low pressure as the slayer....the slayer is easier to use, however

shawndo

#16: Post by shawndo replying to Bob_M »

"easier" is an understatement. I could never get the same flowrate from the strada MP-type group 2 times in a row by eyeballing it.
I eventually just gave up on trying. It makes the idea of dialing in an espresso impossible for me.
It has the theoretical ability, but you need a nanometer-calibrated robot thumb to make it repeatable. At this point I think a flow-profiling mod would be better than a strada mod.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

BaristaBoy E61

#17: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

What happens to a Slayer's programming if the power is completely interrupted, as when its breaker is turned 'OFF'?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
Bob_M

#18: Post by Bob_M replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Nothing bad. I unplug mine every time I take a trip which is frequent. Not sure what would happen if power were interrupted during a shot pull or something similar.

chrisbodnarphoto

#19: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Bob_M wrote:Im new to this discussion but I currently have a single group slayer and recently had a GS/3 with strada mod. I could do a preinfusion as long and at as low pressure as the slayer....the slayer is easier to use, however
I find this interesting! Was the GS/3 strictly with the Strada mod or did you have a needle valve installed, as well? I thought it pre-infuses with like pressure (2-3 bar) compared with the slayer than can preinfuse with <1 bar if desired?

michael

#20: Post by michael »

shawndo wrote:"easier" is an understatement. I could never get the same flowrate from the strada MP-type group 2 times in a row by eyeballing it.
I eventually just gave up on trying. It makes the idea of dialing in an espresso impossible for me.
It has the theoretical ability, but you need a nanometer-calibrated robot thumb to make it repeatable. At this point I think a flow-profiling mod would be better than a strada mod.
Interesting to say the least

I've never heard that comment about the gs3 strada mod, but wouldn't that also be the case with the non electronic paddle strada as well 8)