Using water soft enough to avoid descaling.

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
lifeis11

#1: Post by lifeis11 »

hello all,

ive done some poking around and searching about water quality, and ive perused the very large and oft-referenced "Insanely Long Water FAQ" - but i still have a question...

several members have mentioned using water soft enough as to not need to descale. i understand many feel that this may have some negative impact on coffee flavor, but id like to try it out for myself.

in short: where can i find some?

cafe102

#2: Post by cafe102 »

Distilled water, be warned that the boiler fill probe on most machines need trace minerals to be able to detect the water levels. Also, the flavor will be pretty bad. It is worth trying as part of the learning experience, as how important water is to the process. If you are looking for a soft bottled water Volvic is a good choice, not all bottled water is soft.

lifeis11 (original poster)

#3: Post by lifeis11 (original poster) »

yeah, i was looking for more soft bottled. i have actually tried distilled, and in addition to not tasting good, i discovered the 'fill sensor' errors the hard way im afraid.

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

You can take some distilled or RO water and add a little bit of hard water and get something that avoids descaling and tastes good.

DanoM

#5: Post by DanoM »

Many people like Crystal Geyser water as a starting point for espresso water. Not too hard, generally ph is good too.
LMWDP #445