Used Nuova Simonelli Musica - Convert from pods to ground coffee?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
newrevolution123

#1: Post by newrevolution123 »

HI,

I have recently acquired a used Nuova Simonelli Musica (pod version) espresso machine and now wondering how to convert it back to ground coffee.

Can you guys let me know if first of all this is technically feasible and how to go about doing it myself ?

Attached are some pictures of the group head as seen from underneath. Not sure if some elements of the group head are missing or not !

HELP ! :?

"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

It looks like all you'd need is a shower screen, group head screw, portafilter, and baskets. You can watch this video showing the conversion of the Musica to POD operation which shows the removal of the screen. You might also need to replace the group head cap above the screen which looks like a part # 07300183 from this Nuova Simonelli parts diagram here.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

newrevolution123 (original poster)

#3: Post by newrevolution123 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Chris. I agree on the elements that need to be purchased.

I am also under the impression that I may be needing to remove the lower part of the brew head (semi-iconic shape element at the very bottom of the brew head). I don't see how I could add any new elements without doing this. Any idea on how to do it ?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I'm not sure that it needs to come off, or if it does how it comes off. From what I can see on the pictures, it has the shape which would accept the portafilter ears to lock it in. The parts diagram I found is for a 2010 model, do you know what year model your Musica is?

Looking at your pictures it does look different than the standard group, it doesn't twist lock into the group, does it?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

newrevolution123 (original poster)

#5: Post by newrevolution123 (original poster) »

Good Morning Chris ,

The machine was manufactured in May 2011 in Italy so it it relatively a new model. I suspect that the brew head for the pod only version has been modified slightly in comparison to the standard ground coffee version.

I think that I would need a special tool to unmount the existing pod diffuser then proceed on the replacement of the brew head. I emailed Chris Coffee for advice and will share the information when I receive it.