Used Nuova Simonelli Appia, no water to group

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AndrewG

#1: Post by AndrewG »

I just picked up a 5 year old Nuova Simonelli Appia locally. Got it home, plumbed it in, set it up and... no water to the group head. The water fills the boiler so I know there is an open water line. Pressure reads steady at 3 bar on the gauge for the group head and when activated runs right at 9 bar. Tried to trace the water line through the machine and have had no luck in finding the problem. When pushing the brew buttons it activates the pump but just does not put any water through the group head. Took apart the three way solenoid on the group and it was clean, along with the solenoid by the gicar flowmeter. Took apart the flowmeter and it spins freely and shows no signs of scaling.

Since the gauge shows 9 bar past the pump and after the group is activated, I feel as though there is a blockage somewhere, but I have just had issues trying to diagnose a possibility. Does anything clog easily that I might have missed?

Anyone with an Appia that might have had the same issue or have some advice? Any and all help would be much appreciated with thanks in advance.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

You do have the manuals for this machine? If not, they are available from the NS website:
http://www.nuovadistribution.com/
This sounds to me as though you have a failed brew solenoid coil.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

2StrokeBloke

#3: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

I agree with erics. The group delivery solenoid sounds shot. You should be able to measure across the coil, looking for an open resistance (to confirm a duff solenoid). A working one should have low resistance.
If I have the time tonight, I'll measure mine and see what a working solenoid value is.

AndrewG (original poster)

#4: Post by AndrewG (original poster) »

Thanks erlcs. I will measure the resistance tonight when I can. When I hit the brew button the solenoid still clicks on and off. Would it still do this and just not activate the pump if it had failed?

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Would it still do this and just not activate the pump if it had failed?
No . . . furthermore I thought you said the pump itself ran fine.

That click is the movement of the piston closing off the exhaust port and "opening" the valve, giving almost 100% assurance that the brew solenoid valve is OK. In this case, you need to begin loosening connections at points in the hydraulic circuit to see where the blockage lies. Be a little cautious on disassembly because I seem to recall some orifice(s) in the vicinity of the flowmeter.
Skål,

Eric S.

#6: Post by AndrewG (original poster) »

Yes I did. I accidentally wrote "pump" in place of "solenoid". Thanks for the advice. I've taken the flowmeter apart and it was clean, but I will begin working my way from the flowmeter to the group head checking for blockages. Do hx portions clog up easily? I'm starting to think I need to take apart and do a good boiler/tubing descale altogether.

#7: Post by AndrewG (original poster) »

2am in the morning and success! Taking apart from the group back to the flowmeter turning water on I had found no water was getting to the group. Continued to go further down to the flowmeter and found that both the inlet orifice to the flowmeter and the exit orifice were both clogged with scale from sitting. With a push pin I unclogged the scale on both, reassembled the machine and works perfectly. Thanks again for your help erics.

DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM replying to AndrewG »

Crusty, scaled impellers make good dams! Make sure you get a descale on that flowmeter so your water is measured properly and you'll be fine.
LMWDP #445

#9: Post by AndrewG (original poster) »

That they definitely do. Having some more "difficulties". After trying to reprogram the dosing amounts on the Appia 1 group, the lights all lit up again and then did not allow me to enter the dosing program again. Now any time I use any of the 5 buttons on the front for water dosing they do not work but instead blink along with the continuous key. If the continuous key is hit alone it will dispense water properly, but the other 4 buttons do not work correctly. Anyone ran into this problem?

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

The only thing that comes to mind is that POSSIBLY you reversed the electrical connections on the flowmeter . . . or is there a molded connector that makes this virtually impossible? Reversing these connections would fail the flowmeter permanently.
Skål,

Eric S.