Used Elektra T1 - No water from grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
maxwerks

#1: Post by maxwerks »

Hello to all .
I just bought a used 1993 Elektra deliziosa ..opened the enclosure so I can see the insides before I connect and tun the machine on . After some cleaning here and there , I connected the water line , ( straight to cold water line no pressure regulator) , tuned the machine on red light by switch turned on , machine started heating up .. coupe of very small droplets from connections I noticed and tightened the connections a little , leaks were fine ....pressure in the boiler reached 1.1 Bar .. opened steam wand .. plenty of steam , same with hot water tap ..
but when I press the brew switch .. nothing from group head ...turned things off , it cooled , then retried again , no water from group .
1- I noticed that the green lamp by the gauge never came on , but I figured maybe the lamp is out....but could that be an indication of something else ? ( I dont have the user manual for it )
2- OR I figured .. Flow meter ( which lights up in amber by the way , not sure what that means , or water pump , or solenoid ?
No buzzing // nothing out of the ordinary that jumps at you .. just no water from group head .
Any advise ? Thank you all

xtal

#2: Post by xtal »

Does the '93 have a brew pressure gauge? If so what does it read when you start a shot?

maxwerks (original poster)

#3: Post by maxwerks (original poster) »

No sadly the gauge on the 93 is only a boiler gauge

xtal

#4: Post by xtal »

Well, does the pump make any noise when you press the brew buttons?

#5: Post by maxwerks (original poster) replying to xtal »

Yes what seems to me as normal noise . comes on when I press the brew button ... but honestly I am not sure of it is the motor , or the pump .. I Guess the motor wont turn of the pump is seized , right ?

xtal

#6: Post by xtal »

It sounds like it pumped in water fine when you first turned the machine on (the red light turned on, it autofilled and stopped), and it's attempting to run when you start a shot, as it should.

My guess is something (scale perhaps) is blocking the water path. I'm not exactly sure how the '93 is set up but you can probably find diagrams online. The first step would probably be to pull the shower screen and check how dirty it is...it conceivably could just be blocked with old coffee sludge :|

#7: Post by maxwerks (original poster) »

yes youre right .. it was the pump that kicked in to fill in the boiler , so the pump must be OK .. either blocked as you said , or could it be signal is not going correctly from brew button to flow meter ? or could it be a solenoid stuck closed ? Thanks for your help

xtal

#8: Post by xtal »

When solenoids would die at the cafe I used to work at, they would make a really horrendous noise. That may not always be the case - real experts here may know, but it seems more likely that there's a blockage. This is good, because you should be able to clear it out fairly easily.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

If it is connected to your mains, you boiler will fill even if the pump does not kick on. The pressure in the mains will be more than enough to fill a boiler when the solenoid opens. The pumps on the Elektras are quiet but they do make noise. If the pump is running it could be a stuck solenoid or scale in the heat exchanger/group plugging it up. When you go to brew you should heat the solenoid click when it snaps open. If the pump was not working, you would still get water out the group just at mains pressure. No water at all would suggest your solenoid is not opening or the group is scaled up. Turn everything off, unplug the machine, turn off the water, then unscrew the big bolt on top of the group. Under it is a fine mesh screen to filter out loose scale and the group jet. Snap a photo of it and post. You could have some scale in there blocking things.
Dave Stephens

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

The above advice is good regardless if that is not your problem. Go here for some manuals: /downloads/ . Here is the hydraulic layout for your machine (or pretty close):

I believe that either your brew solenoid is not getting power or the solenoid itself has failed.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com