US and Europe wiring standards what color is which wire?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#1: Post by cannonfodder »

I need a quick hand. My new Elektra A3 arrived today. It is all hooked up with one exception, the plug. To my surprise, there was no plug on the power line, just bare wire so I had to run out and get a plug.

Now for the problem. I have a green/yellow-blue-brown wire on the Elektra. The green/yellow is ground, but I am use to black and white, which one corresponds to the blue and brown?
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

From Wiring for La San Marco 85 series:
HB wrote:I'm not an electrician and have never installed non-US 220V equipment. That of course doesn't stop me from searching the Internet a bit (e.g., "standard wiring colors us"). One of my recent favorite references, the Wikipedia, has this to say about electrical wiring in the UK:

No easy answer, eh? It does include a table of the insulation color coding; its links led me to this very nice drawing from the Electrician's Guide, 4.6.2 - Identification of fixed wiring conductors. In case you haven't had enough of insulation color coding, the tables in Wire Color Coding covered both US and UK. Despite the online reference, my advice is to ask a technician at your friendly espresso equipment repair center of your choice.
Somebody has added a nice reference table since I last looked:
                        Pre-2004 IEE    Current IEC
Protective earth (PE)   Green or black  Green/yellow striped
Neutral (N)             Black           Blue
Single phase: Live (L)
Three phase: L1         Red             Brown
Three phase: L2         Yellow          Black
Three phase: L3         Blue            Grey
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Found it, Commercial Coding for AC Wiring from Reference & Information Wire Color Coding

115/240v 60Hz
US Black (hot) white(common) green (ground)
Europe and UK
Brown (hot) blue (common) Green/Yellow (ground)

and Go Ohio State!!
Dave Stephens

k7qz

#4: Post by k7qz »

cannonfodder wrote:My new Elektra A3 arrived today.
Congrat's! You're going to love this machine!

What, no pictures posted of the first beautiful shots yet? 8)

Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I was still installing, but I do have a new avatar 8)
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

And the very first shot and steam. I really mean the first, no grinder adjustment, no steaming practice, it was the first steam session. Not bad with two week old beans.

Good lord is this thing easy to use. It does the work itself, a little basic technique and it will pull good shots. A little barista skill and it should pull awesome shots. I will be starting a new thread on the performance tuning. Right now I have the mains pressure set at 2 bar (Dan, the pressure setting went up, my new machine shows 4 bar mains max), the pump is 8.8 bar brew, and my boiler is tweaked to 1.1-1.0 bar.
Dave Stephens

mogogear

#7: Post by mogogear »

Noticed the avatar change before I read your post........................... man o man- it is so sad to sit up here in the cheap seats. That La Forza looks really happy to sit up there..

Have a grand ol time !! Congrats
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I told the wife I ordered a box of espresso machine parts from Chris. I neglected to tell her all the parts were assembled into a machine. She laughed, I did not bleed, life is good. Now I have to drain the HX's in my two group and find a place to put it, unless someone wants a good deal on a Faema two group with one good group.
Dave Stephens

k7qz

#9: Post by k7qz »

Cool pics! :D
cannonfodder wrote:Good lord is this thing easy to use. It does the work itself, a little basic technique and it will pull good shots. A little barista skill and it should pull awesome shots.
+1 Those looking for a high-end machine should re-read this observation of Cannonfodder at least three times...
I will be starting a new thread on the performance tuning.
Excellent. Looking forward to someone of your experience level helping me move somewhere into barista stratosphere!

Aren't new toys fun ?!!