Updated mypressi Twist

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rawman

#1: Post by rawman »

I haven't seen any posts yet talking about the updates to the mypressi Twist so I thought I would post something. If there is already a thread, feel free to merge this with it.

There were a few known issues with the first generation Twist such as some units had slow N2O leaks in the handles and some had hairline cracking on the water bowls. I had one of the cracked bowl units so I contacted their customer support in April and they were very responsive. The let me know that a newer version was on the way that had some issues fixed, and offered to replace my defective unit. They put my name on the list to have a unit mailed out when the new ones were scheduled to arrive. Since I work about a mile from their office, I offered to pick my unit up. They agreed so I waited. A few weeks ago I got the call saying the replacement models are in, so I was on my way.

I met with Ayub and Conrad in their office. They were both very nice. They let me in to tour the office. The office was exactly as I expected. It was a small office, but it looked like a place where real work gets done. They had some various parts, a few Twists in various states of disassembly, a scace device, and a Mazzer (SJ or Robur, I forget) with electronic doser. They had some of their mypressi branded tampers, which I found very nice and plan to pick one up. The grinder had some older coffee, but they dumped it and offered to pull me shots with some fresher Sumatra they had. (I think it was Verve, again I forget.) The first shot needed a minor grinder adjustment, but the second was very nice. Good taste, good mouthfeel, good body and after taste. Considering their customer support, and standing behind their product, and general attitude of everyone I've dealt with in the company, I am very impressed with the company.

I also took a few pictures of some of the updated version. (Excuse the image quality, I'm not good with product photography):

This one shows the new low tech shot counter, and the label mentioning the O ring

This one shows the minor change to the way the top cover locks in. You have to insert the cap, turn slightly to the left, push the rest of the way in, then turn to the right to lock it in.

It felt like the small O ring was actually a bit deeper in the handle, and it didn't seem to fall out as easy as the older one, but since I'm more familiar with it maybe I just knew to hold it. I would have taken a picture but there wasn't much to see there. The handle is also fixed so it no longer leaks, but I didn't notice any visible change so didn't post a picture of that either.

Jon
LMWDP #189

Carneiro

#2: Post by Carneiro »

Nice, thanks for posting.

Is this new version the units available around? I'll travel to Toronto and NY next week and plan to get me one.

Márcio.

wookie

#3: Post by wookie »

I too had a Twist with issues, a slow gas leak in my case so that I was only getting a few shots per cartridge. The service from Mypressi was first rate & they ended up replacing mine under warranty. As rawman noted, the improved Twist appears to have a number of refinements.

1. The gas port has a more pronounced fluting & the small o-ring is very hard to dislodge now. The instructions have been amended to recommend that you hold your thumb over the ring when handling but I don't find that necessary. Just keeping an eye on the o-ring is sufficient; after three dozen shots it isn't showing any tendency to fall out. You'll see the new sticker on the handle advising you to keep an eye on the o-ring.

2. The water bowl cap appears to be thicker now & presumably more crack resistant. I never had any problems with the bowl, but it should make it more durable. And it has the "shot counter" markings molded into the cap now.

3. And they've done something about the gas leaks. It's hard to be certain, but it looks like the end cap might be a thicker casting now (I didn't measure the old one to compare) and it seems to have a thicker gasket where the N20 cartridge shoulder seats inside the handle. In any event, I've tried several brands of cartridges over the last few weeks, including the ISI ones that are almost a millimeter shorter and there are no signs of leaking. I'm getting 5 - 6 double shots per cartridge over 3 - 4 days, so whatever they actually changed it's working great.

The figure that is usually bandied about is four double shots per cartridge. But I'm consistently getting five (25 - 30 second) doubles. I did some experimenting with short shots and if you pull shots under 25 seconds, you can expect to get six doubles per cartridge.

So if anyone was considering one of these, but was concerned about reports of gas leaks (or I suppose cracked bowls), that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. If you do run into a problem, their customer service is really good. If you are buying at retail, look for the distinctive "shot counter" bumps on the cap to indicate that you have the new version.

mhoy

#4: Post by mhoy »

Shortly after I too had my myPressi replaced under warranty due to a leaky charger. The new system hasn't been under much test due to a two week vacation. The customer service for MyPressi should be commended for excellent service. Yeah, I had a problem but they made it right. They are SUPPORTING their systems and I'm impressed. I truly hope they succeed with this as it's a darn amazing hand held unit that delivers the goods.

Mark

boredatwork

#5: Post by boredatwork »

I just got my replacement in the mail yesterday. I had a problem with gas leak as well as a severely cracked dispersion screen cover that spewed hot water all over the place.

Aside from the fact that it broke, I had no issue getting a replacement. And I always feel the need to express how great this machine is.

Psyd

#6: Post by Psyd »

rawman wrote: The handle is also fixed so it no longer leaks, but I didn't notice any visible change so didn't post a picture of that either.
If you get the opportunity, ask what was changed on the handle bit. I was promised a replacement for the one I have that is leaking a bit, but since it was an evaluation giftie in the first place, I didn't harp on it after my friends started getting theirs. I would, if possible, like to 'upgrade' mine if it's just a parts/o-ring or similar fix.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

wookie

#7: Post by wookie »

Psyd wrote:If you get the opportunity, ask what was changed on the handle bit.
It doesn't hurt to ask, but they may be reluctant or reticent to get into much detail about changes. I'm sure that they don't normally consider parts inside the handle to be 'user replaceable' and may look at this as proprietary information. You might try asking if the 'new parts' are available for purchase instead?

I no longer have an original unit to compare. But if you want to take a few measurements or photos, I'd do the same and compare to the new version. If you have an outside caliper, measure the casting thickness at the bottom of the handle cap. Or with a vernier caliper, you could effectively do the same by taking the difference of the overall length to the inside depth. And a macro photo inside the handle, looking at the o-ring that sits behind the snap ring.

Psyd

#8: Post by Psyd »

wookie wrote: You might try asking if the 'new parts' are available for purchase instead?
That's sorta what I was attempting to ask. If there were an easily swappable new part, I'd get it and swap it. If it were re-engineered, I think that I'm a bit SOL anyhoo.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

rawman (original poster)

#9: Post by rawman (original poster) »

I'm going back over there to look at the 2 tampers they offer, and I can ask. Or, you could call them. The support is really great.
LMWDP #189

mypressi

#10: Post by mypressi »

Wow, I think it's time I provided an update on the changes in the mypressi TWIST. I really appreciate the kind comments posted here about improvements to the product and our customer service. We wouldn't be here without you, and we'll keep on doing our utmost to provide the best experience for everyone.

So let me give you a quick update, and answer some of the questions that have been posted.

We've been busy since the start of the year making a string of improvements to the product and we started baking them in way back in February. Some of them were easy, like increasing the trigger return spring strength. Otherwise were much trickier.

We spent months on a materials analysis for the water bowls and top caps, and after much testing settled on a particular type of thermoplastic rubber that has some stretch to it, a non-slip grip, and better thermal insulation so if you're pulling shots at 202F (which the TWIST can do), you won't burn your fingers. Our engineers also came up with a neat automated stop for the top cap that prevents it ever popping off unexpectedly. We also added the shot counter feature because, well, the top cap has four positions, the unit typically make four shots from a cartridge, and it seemed like a good idea to use that happy circumstance in a beneficial way.

We also strengthened lots of components, and made a bunch of internal changes to get around the slow leak issues that had popped up on some of the units. This involved changing the sizes and arrangement of o-rings, and certain dimensional specifications for machined and cast parts. Therefore the short answer is that these are not swappable parts. The insertion of bumpers in the end caps worked on some units, but not all. The quickest fix if you have a leak is to contact us at support@mypressi.com and we'll organize a replacement pronto. We have plenty of stock now, after being oversold for months on end, so we can have a replacement out our door within one business day with a return label so you can send your other unit back on our account (within the US mainland, anyway). Just ensure you email in your name, address, phone number, and a place and date of purchase for our quality control purposes so we can track it back to a production batch.

Meanwhile, these updated units may not be in all retail channels just yet. We have them in stock at our online store, and wookie definitely had the right idea by saying you should look for the bumps on the top cap to ensure you are getting the latest unit.

I haven't been on H-B for a while, but will definitely make a point of stopping by more often. Please feel free to ask any further questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Also, please stop by our Origins page at http://mypressi.com/origins and consider donating a unit to a coffee farmer by purchasing a unit for just $10 more than the regular retail. It's a transformative experience. We're doing good works there but the program needs all the support it can get.

Thanks as always,
Stephen