Updated mypressi Twist - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Paolo

#21: Post by Paolo »

My updated Twist arrived 5 days ago.

I have used it for maybe 10 shots so far and have only good things to report on it:-
*Co2 cartridges seem to be easier to obtain in Australia than N2O cartridges, and the new Twist runs fine on these.
*The top cap has a safety mechanism built-into the locking mechanism. It is initially a bit trickier to locate and tighten but provides a measure of safety that the original one didn't have.
*The black finish on the cap and on the water bowl seems to be easier to grip.
*The water bowl seems to retain more heat, resulting in a higher temperature shot.
All shots to date from my new Twist have been really good.

All-in-all a worthy successor to the original (amazing) Twist. Well done Mypressi!!

ohofmann

#22: Post by ohofmann »

Let the Twist sit with a half-empty cartridge for three days (or half-full, depending on your current mood) and just pulled another two double shots today. Seems like the leakage problem has been fixed or at least minimized to an extent that it's not noticeable with casual use.

opother

#23: Post by opother »

My current problem is the Mypressi Twist that I have which is the New
Improved Version 2 (about a month since I got it in the mail give or take) leaks. I put a cartridge in and the next day it's empty. Sometimes when I screw a cartridge in it just dumps it's entire charge in a few seconds. Other times I manage to pull one shot and wind up wondering why the next shot doesn't pull.

Initially it behaved as it should but now that is only occasionally.

So far all I have used in this thing is original Mypressi N2O chargers nothing else.

All the usual seals are intact the tiny rubber O-ring ect.... and if it was It wouldn't account for the entire charge being dumped just by the act of screwing in a Mypressi N2O charger.

Blowing multiple chargers is not cheap. I have heard of this happening to someone else too.

I will try some sort of padding and see what happens. I only wish they would provide full schematics since if it is something I can fix I would rather do it myself.

I am going to give them a call

opother

#24: Post by opother »

Okay a very fast update is seems that my problem has been solved by taking one sheet of toilet and placing it in the end cap after folding it over a few times into small square.

I got a nice crema laden 28 second 2 oz shot using Gimme's Leftist blend out of a versalab grinder set at a hair over 2 1/2.

I will update if this works out I will keep it as is and maybe even use a better padding material than toilet paper.

opother

#25: Post by opother »

No the toilet tissue didn't work out. After the tissue flattened just a nudge on the cap was enough to cause a discharge.

I then put two small rubber bands in the end cap. This seem to solve the instant discharge problem but after pulling another shot like the previously mentioned it failed to generate enough pressure to pull another. This pattern is consistent it can only pull one good shot and that is it.

I did empty a charger be constantly refilling and emptying 2 oz of water at a time without anything in the basket I stopped counting at 21 it seems that the cartridges empty more rapidly when presented with a loaded basket nevertheless I am not getting the promised four 2 oz shots from each charger.

Something is wrong.

opother

#26: Post by opother »

Okay I have experimented some more and have come to the following early conclusions. One the rubber bands seem to work great the other is this device is very grind sensitive.

What I failed to mention in the above posts is that I have changed the grind a couple of times to finer in an attempt to pull thick ristrettos and choked the Mypressi.

From my above experiments I have determined the regulating system of the Twist expels gas at all times when the trigger is pressed whether the device is choked or not. It also expels more gas as the pressure increased (up to nine bars I guess) This means that if you have a choke or a very slow pour it is expelling a good amount of gas (possibly more with the pressure increase?) as you wait for the first few drops to pour resulting in a prematurely depleted cartridge.

When I adjusted the grind to about a 23 to 28 second pull total time including pre infusion. I managed to get five doubles before the N2O cartridge expired.

The problem here seems to be instructions I don't remember it being emphasized how much of an effect a tighter grind and slower pour has on N2O cartridge life.

This is just a preliminary test I am now going to load a cartridge in it and leave it overnight with my rubber bands in the end cap to if there is any pressure loss tomorrow.

mhoy

#27: Post by mhoy »

Which brand of N2O chargers are you using? I've heard (but not tried or checked) that different brands have slightly different sizes.

Mark

sweaner

#28: Post by sweaner »

Mark, this is true. The cartridges that were included with my version 1 TWIST were very slightly longer than the replacements I bought at Williams-Sonoma.
Scott
LMWDP #248

opother

#29: Post by opother »

Well it has been a bit more than overnight (about 1 week) since I left a full N2O cartridge in the twist with rubber bands placed inside the end cap for the N2O cartridge chamber.

It seems that the charge still remains I sprayed some water out of it a few times today to test it (it sprayed quite well) however I have not yet tested it under a load that would bring out 9 bars of pressure. So far I have positive expectations that my initial twist problems may have been solved.

As I mentioned before in my first post I have been using only Mypressi Twist N20 chargers in this device.

When you mentioned replacement chargers at Williams Sonoma did you mean Sonoma's chargers were Mypressi brand name chargers that were shorter or did you go and buy a different brand name such as ISI for instance ?

With this fix I probably can use ISI chargers as well in place of the Mypressi brand name ones I am currently using. I heard ISI chargers rate high as far as purity and quality. It might be worth a try.

sweaner

#30: Post by sweaner »

Den, the Williams-Sonoma cartridges are another brand. Your fix will probably work just fine.
Scott
LMWDP #248