Ulka vibratory pump priming issue

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LATrapp

#1: Post by LATrapp »

Hello,

Trying to bring a Silvia back to life and I'm having no luck getting the pump to pull water. Even tried a new Ulka with same results.

- The pump(s) is powered and vibrates.
- I have the pump pulling directly from the reservoir, with an unobstructed hose.
- The output is disconnected from the Silvia and unobstructed. I have it setup to just flow openly into a container.

Both the original old pump, and a brand new Ulka are having the same problem pulling from the reservoir. Is there something I need to do to kickstart the flow?

Thank you!

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

When you first get a new pump, you have to force water into it to get it going. You can get one of those bulb things you use to clean out a baby's nose and use that to squirt water in the intake tube. Or you can just fill the tube with water as best you can and then blow on it. In either case once you get it going you want to immediately put the tube back in the reservoir, because if you let too big an air bubble get in there you'll just have to repeat the process. It may take a few trys but you'll get it.

If you're not having any luck, let the pump cool off for a while before you try again. Running dry makes them overheat quickly.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Turkey baster. Fill it up, turn on the pump, stick the baster into the hose and push the water into the pump. They usually prime without too much trouble but now and then someone will have difficulty. Do not run the pump too long without water in it. The water lubricates and cools the pump. Without it you will heat up the pump and burn up the motor.
Dave Stephens

LATrapp (original poster)

#4: Post by LATrapp (original poster) »

Thanks both, will check back in when the turkey is (hopefully) done!

LATrapp (original poster)

#5: Post by LATrapp (original poster) »

turkey is done!

I used one of those condiment plastic squeeze bottles that you see for mustard at a hotdog stand. Had to give a solid squeeze to get it going.

Thanks for the help!!