Ulka pump problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bryston

#1: Post by bryston »

Hi, this is my second pump on my rocket , when i turn it on it will go up to 9 bar then it goes silent, its about 5 month old , my first one had same problem , why this keep happening, can i fix them? my water is soft.
should i replace it again?
thanks

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Should i replace it again?
Unfortunately, yes.

Ulka is now a subsidiary of CEME. I would send them en email, offering to send the pump back to them for analysis - perhaps both of your failed pumps. Or you can send them to me (I will pay the postage or reimburse you) and I will do the disassembly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Try a different outlet. I have had similar experience. if there is a fridge or microwave (etc.) on the same circuit it may have that effect.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

bryston wrote:Hi, this is my second pump on my rocket , when i turn it on it will go up to 9 bar then it goes silent, its about 5 month old , my first one had same problem , why this keep happinning, can i fix them? my water is soft.
should i replace it again?
thanks
This has happened to me about 3x over the last 3 years. Before I replace it I always think it's something more severe so I come on to the H-B and ask questions. 100% of the time replacing the pump is the answer. When the pump goes silent while pulling full throttle then it's tired and the easiest thing to do is replace it. There are a couple threads out there, you'll find the answers have always been to replace the pump.

Are the ulka pumps now just built like junk? The reason why I always came online to try and diagnose the problem was because I kept hearing about how vibe pumps AT HOME, should last years... well mine haven't last much longer than a year so far...
LMWDP #670

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

And here is the list:

QuickMill Anita with Erratic Brew Pressure [New Video Posted]

I will edit this with an illustration later on today.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Carneiro

#6: Post by Carneiro »

I wonder if replacing it with a Fluid-o-Tech vibe pump could be a better option. They are pricey, but they seem to be well built. If they last longer, maybe they are worth the double cost.

I have some trouble with Ulka inside my Elektra Semiauto too. But I don't know if I can fit a FOT (better if I can use the one with the bypass valve returning to the pump inlet so I can limit the pressure and let go the circuit board I use to control the pump).

Márcio.

Coffeematt13

#7: Post by Coffeematt13 »

I've been having problems with my machine for awhile now. The pump makes a pulsing noise when I pull a shot. When I do a backflush it does go silent. I'm assuming my pump is failing? On a prior post, erics said it could be my solenoid valve. But the fact that it is silent during a backflush leads me to believe it is the pump.

Advertisement
Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

replace the pump and you should be fine...
LMWDP #670

bryston (original poster)

#9: Post by bryston (original poster) »

Hi,
Am fed up with the ulka pumps, am replacing it every 6 month in my rocket they keep losing pressure and go silent when the pressure builds up, it's not the water my kh is 1 and gh 3, is there another option?
Thanks

allon

#10: Post by allon »

I'd wonder why they keep failing on you.
Do you run the pump for more than its rated on/off cycle time? They're not rated for continuous duty.
Do you run heated water through, even once? How do you descale?
Is the pump located in a hot part of the machine?
What is your water pressure?

Consumer grade ulka pumps aren't the most solid things in the world but they should be lasting longer than 6 months if not abused.
LMWDP #331