Trying to fit Eric thermocouple adapter on Cimbali M27

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
laythss

#1: Post by laythss »

Hello all,
commercial cimbali M27 selectron 2 group and i was trying to figure how to fit Erics thermocouple in it for a friend of mine who owns it, as you will see in the picture the regular screw in the front of the group head is not present, , the two small screw wholes in the top are cosmetic (they hold the grouphead cover and dont go all the way through)

the only area i can see a place to use a screw for such a purpose is the big screws at top of the group head. Is this where i should fir it?

I am not an expert about the mechanism of the group head hence i need your advice. the bigger screw when removed shows an empty chamber that only gets water when the grouphead is open (it is electrically controlled by a button) . the somewhat smaller screw was very tight that i did not try to mess around with it too much.

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

What are your thoughts?
The thermometer is really designed for the exposed E-61 group and would not fit properly here. Yes, a thermocouple and adaptor might be fitted but my advice would be to set the maximum boiler pressure to around 0.90 bar and brew away.

BTW, this Cimbali has a Faema grouphead design. That small nut you were trying to remove, I believe, is the gicleur. That is one "heck of a machine" for home use.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

laythss (original poster)

#3: Post by laythss (original poster) »

Ok months later reply,
Thanks Eric for the reply. this machine is actually in a coffee shop.
I thought the Faema and E-61 are the same. but i have a feeling i am wrong since the E-61 seems to always have that screw that leads to the group head channel where your thermocouple is supposed to go.

In regards to .9 bar .. it wont be beneficial for these reasons:
coffee shop is not always packed all the time, we experience peak time and off peak times. in the peak times it is around 20 or more consecutive shots. If i drop to .9 recovery time will be an issue after the fifth shot or so. Also effects steam quality and speed.

now since i cannot find a channel that leads to the group head (is there one that is hidden somewhere?) what would you think is the best place to somehow fit a thermocouple?
do u know of a good place to find a schematic of the grouphead and the way it works on the M27 ?

Many thanks.
Layth

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

Faema is wholly owned by La Cimbali, so any distinction is problematic. The E-61 group is not the only group on Faema branded machines. As far as I know, no Cimbali machines use an E-61.

Here's an exploded diagram of the M27 Head. I'm pretty sure there's no way to make an EricS thermometer work; but the M27 -- like all commercial Cimbalis -- is so stable, a group head thermometer wouldn't do much for a reasonably skilled barista anyway.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

lmclaren

#5: Post by lmclaren »

On my coffee machine, with the group head below:
http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/cimbali/c ... re-parts-1

There is a hole (show on the flat on the grouphead above the blue writing 700646) that is much the same as the hold on the E61. Mine has a screw with washer in the hole to blank it.

Not sure of the size from memory but are guessing it is the same size.

regards

lee

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Here is a better drawing of your grouphead and a pic showing the installation of a thermocouple in same. It would be possible to install a thermometer but requires a little machining on my part.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com