Troubleshoot heating problem for Fiorenzato Ducale

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
CarlFirenze

#1: Post by CarlFirenze »

Hi,

I have a Fiorenzato Ducale 1G 230V, i.e. the manual version, that has stopped working. It does not heat up. As I probably have to find the problem my self, order parts, and fix it, I hope to get some feed back on which parts I need to get.

What I know for now:
* the heating element has roughly 20 Ohm resistance, which would correspond to the right power for 230V. (or actually 3x58 Ohm in parallell, I think heating element is shared with the multi-phase versions)
* The contactor does not turn on
* The wiring from contactor to the electric box is unbroken. i.e. current can go through both pressure stat and thermal safety
* Theres no voltage over contactor A1-A2, even if you start all the way up at the electric box

I am leaning to the electric box. It is quite complex for such a simple unit, but I guess it is shared with the semi automatic versions of the machine.

* Do anyone know how to make sure check if electric box is OK or not?
* How can I make sure f.i. contactor is OK?
* The machine does not fill. I dont know how much water that is currently in it. If it can't fill, would that make the electric box stop the heating? (i.e. could it be a stuck valve or broken solenoid,... that cause this problem?)

Any ideas of what I should test or experiences of similar problems are welcome. Or tips of how to test, or threads to read, or,... anything.

Thanks!
Carl.

Advertisement
Juanjo

#2: Post by Juanjo »

I have the same machine but two groups.! :)

That part of "* The machine does not fill"
could be the cause of the heat not working, if the machine didn't fill and the heat element was working dry, that could cause it to break.

What I would do is to take the heat element out for a visual inspection and take care of the auto-fill of the machine as well!
cheers,
Juanjo

CarlFirenze (original poster)

#3: Post by CarlFirenze (original poster) »

Nice, I hope both of your groups work :)

So what you say is that if water is not filled into the tank it will continue to heat anyway. i.e. that a stuck valve for filling the tank will not stop the contactor from turning the heat on. (To make sure it will not run dry and break heating element)

I will try turn on the contactor manually to see if it starts heating. But first I have to go out to get a decent espresso.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I will try turn on the contactor manually to see if it starts heating. But first I have to go out to get a decent espresso.
I would NOT do that. Remove a convenient fitting from the boiler top (vacuum breaker valve ?) and check the water level with a small wooden dowel. A reasonably correct level is about 2/3 up the boiler height.

I ASSUME this machine is fed water from a mains connection. Momentarily remove the connection at the boiler's water level probe. The pump and fill solenoid should energize. If yes, immediately reconnect the level probe and we can troubleshoot further.

Pics of your machine's internals would be helpful.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com