Trouble removing heating element from Nuova Simonelli Oscar boiler

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Reezy

#1: Post by Reezy »

Im doing a full teardown, descale and clean on my Oscar.

I have it taken all the way apart, but I cannot get the thermocouple heating element out of the boiler. I might be calling it the wrong thing, but I believe its that part that heats the boiler, it has 2 electrical connections and its the largest nut on the boiler at 30mm.

The problem is I have nothing to leverage against. I have seen it taken out by using a hammer to knock on the wrench, but since I have it removed already, thats not gonna work for me.

Is there an easy way to do it that anybody knows of, or should I re install it, just so the machine will hold it while I knock the 30mm nut loose?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

witoldb

#2: Post by witoldb »

Assuming you are talking about heating element, clamp the heater nut in a bench wise and try to rotate the boiler with your hands.
Don't press too hard on the wall as it is quite thin and easy to dent.
If it doesn't get loose, try belt or chain wrench used for oil filters to increase your grip.
You need to put some plates bent to radius similar to boiler OD under the wrench otherwise you will dent it.
Iv'e used 6 mm aluminium plates.

Advertisement
Reezy (original poster)

#3: Post by Reezy (original poster) »

I knew I was calling it the wrong thing. The vise sounds like an excellent idea, dont know why I didnt think of that myself. I will definitely try that. I was also thinking of one of those oil filters wrenches also.

I am unclear about what you mean about bending the boiler? Are you talking about bending it while i try the vise method? Please clarify, as I definitely dont want to bend me boiler haha. Just from taking it apart, it is quite apparent how soft and easy it is to bend.

Thanks again

witoldb

#4: Post by witoldb »

The wall will collapse inwards from too much force.
Filter wrench or your bare hands give enough localised load to bend it (I know it from my mistake).
You need to spread the load on larger area through shim plates. They need to have radius similar to boiler.
Use at least 2 mm steel plate/flat bar or min 3 mm thick aluminium.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

An alternative would be to use an ADJUSTABLE electric impact wrench OR you take it to your favorite auto mechanic and ask him to remove gently with his impact. Try to use what's called a six-point socket and it would be best to try the socket first as those electrical tabs may provide a little interference.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Reezy (original poster)

#6: Post by Reezy (original poster) replying to erics »

Thanks a lot. I got it off.

I used my 18v Makita Impact Drill, and a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter, and a 30MM socket. It came off super easy, I didnt need to use the oil filter wrench, I was able to hold it in my hand, with one hand actually.

+My next question is, can I soak this piece with the rest of the parts for descaling? I am worried about damaging it.
Thanks guys!

AngerManagement

#7: Post by AngerManagement »

Do not soak the element or allow any moisture to get any where near the terminals..

If you do so, you stand the risk of stuffing the element..
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Advertisement
Reezy (original poster)

#8: Post by Reezy (original poster) »

Thanks for everything, soaking is in process, and im sure you will see a post or two from me regarding issues I run into during re-assembly.

And literally 30 seconds after I poured the descale solution into the bucket. I did add more after the picture.

Problem Solved.