Tip for those who keep their espresso machines running a lot.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dodger1

#1: Post by Dodger1 »

From personal experience; with all the heat generated the group gasket has a tendency to dry out rather rapidly and that can make it a pia to replace it.

A quick and cheap work around is to use Silicone group gaskets, which won't dry out and imho provide a much better seal vs. the oem group gaskets

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

I leave my machine on 24/7 and have found the rubber gaskets remain flexible and easy to replace for about 3 months. I calendared that, so I would not forget. After 3 months they start getting into chisel and drill territory.

But Paul Pratt gave me a sample of his Cafelat silicone gaskets at the Seattle SCAA show in April, and I just installed it this week. I am curious to see how long it lasts and how it changes when it gets old.
Marshall
Los Angeles

AssafL

#3: Post by AssafL »

I keep the GS3 on for 12 hours a day on timer.

I grease the gasket with food grade lube the gasket remains easy to remove even after 9 months. Albeit it does become harder and more brittle so getting it to seal at that age requires more leverage.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

I bought a few of the Cafelat silicone gaskets May 2014 and the first one is still running strong.

I keep my machine on 24/7 and pull the gasket maybe once a month for cleaning, but I doubt you even need to do that. I just wish he made a full gasket kit in silicone and I'd never need to service this thing
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, the silicone grouphead gaskets are on sale right now at the Cafelat web store. I ordered a half-dozen earlier this week - there's a quantity discount - it sounds like I will have a lifetime supply :lol:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

baldheadracing wrote:I will have a lifetime supply :lol:.
I ended up giving away most of them. Just need one for "production" and one for a backup although not sure what would result in needing the backup.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

tohenk2

#7: Post by tohenk2 »

baldheadracing wrote:FYI, the silicone grouphead gaskets are on sale right now at the Cafelat web store. I ordered a half-dozen earlier this week - there's a quantity discount - it sounds like I will have a lifetime supply :lol:.
Thanks! I ordered some (probably end up giving some away as well :) - but didn't see/find the quantity discount)

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by uscfroadie »

shawndo wrote:I bought a few of the Cafelat silicone gaskets May 2014 and the first one is still running strong.

I keep my machine on 24/7 and pull the gasket maybe once a month for cleaning, but I doubt you even need to do that. I just wish he made a full gasket kit in silicone and I'd never need to service this thing
I was one of those lucky few to benefit from Shawndo's generosity. I also run 24/7, and that gasket was a year old when I swapped it, though that was only done because I have 5 sitting around (placed an order thinking I'd need to replace them eventually) and thought surely it's worn by now. It was still as pliable as the brand new one that took it's place, though it was stained a little from the coffee.

For anyone running the stock rubber ones, I highly recommend the Cafelat's silicone as an upgrade.
Merle

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

tohenk2 wrote:Thanks! I ordered some (probably end up giving some away as well :) - but didn't see/find the quantity discount)
You're welcome. FYI, http://www.cafelatstore.com/products/si ... up-gaskets Under the "Quantity" drop-down, you have a choice of 1, 3, or 5 - the price will change as appropriate, so 1 for $3, 3 for $8.10 ($2.70 each), 5 for $12.75 ($2.55 each). The La Marzocco and Rancilio pages are similar.

The store ships on Tuesdays and Fridays, so maybe if you sent them an e-mail they could adjust your order?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Mochamaker

#10: Post by Mochamaker »

I have a Silvia, on Espresso Parts it has the standard gasket size as being 74mmx57mmx8mm. The Cafelat gasket is 73mmx57mmx8mm. I understand it's just a mm on the outside diameter, but... think it would fit ok?

Dan