Thirsty gaggia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pedepy

#1: Post by pedepy »

not that anything is wrong with what im getting from my gaggia (in respects to my still evolving skill level that is), but im a little worried about how much water this thing needs ...

i have an evolution, and from a rough guestimate the tank seems to be around 1.5 to 2 liters ... now, i need to refill the thing everytime i make a double, sometimes even *while* im using it .. that is, by the time everything's been heated up and that i ran a few water shots to clean and heat everything up, im often in need of refilling the tank if i want to have enough water to pull a shot. i only run water through the group and steam wand 2 or 3 times before i actually pull the shot and steam my milk ...

i mean it just seems like i need twice as much water as im using ? ...??? where is all of that water going ??

on a side note, a carpenter ant has crawled up my group .. or something .. im not quite sure where it went .. whatever happened, if it went in, its most likely dead ... has anyone else in the universe ever experienced something like that and what did you do ?>.....?! :roll: :roll:

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Maybe your running too much water before the shots?

I dont use my Classic too often, but, in any case... If I let it heat up for only like 10-15 minutes, it certainly needs a good amount of water run through the group to get it all hot. But, if you let it heat up for like, 30 minutes, maybe a little longer, you shouldnt need more then a shots worth run through the group.. And that water that you run, can be used to heat up your cup, as the "cup warmer" leaves something to be desired.

that said.. The reservoir isnt all that big, and in general, every two shots, including cup warming and post-shot rinsing, I top off the tank.