Thermosyphon stalls after checking E61 for scale

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
M Diddy

#1: Post by M Diddy »

Hi all.

Having an issue with my La Nuova Era Cuadra II and not sure why.

About 4 days ago, I followed Eric's post on how to check the mushroom in an e61 for scale here:

Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale

Pulled everything and followed the procedure to a tee. Didn't notice much scale, if any, at all. Just a few tiny spots of corosion where the chrome plating was replaced with a small green dot. Cleaned everything off anyway and re-assembled. Now, when I first turn the machine on each morning, the temp starts to climb to about 140 F, and then proceeds to drop. I do a small flush (notice a second or two of no water) and then the temp starts to climb again and it reaches operating temperature no problem and stays there until I turn off the machine.

This has been every morning now for the past 4 days. I did a full descale yesterday to see if that would fix the issue, but no dice, same issue this morning.

Any idea what's going on?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

I do a small flush (notice a second or two of no water) and then the temp starts to climb again and it reaches operating temperature . . .
You have found the key to the "puzzle" :)

Water has leaked out of the thermosyphon system and by doing this small flush, you have filled the system in order for it to continue on. The most logical place for a leak is the brew valve which is about a $15 and 15 minute replacement.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

For more detail on the subject, see these article on my website:
Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group and Understanding and Preventing Thermosyphon Stall
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

M Diddy (original poster)

#4: Post by M Diddy (original poster) »

erics wrote:You have found the key to the "puzzle" :)

Water has leaked out of the thermosyphon system and by doing this small flush, you have filled on system in order for it to continue on. The most logical place for a leak is the brew valve which is about a $15 and 15 minute replacement.
Thanks Eric.

Question though. What would cause the brew valve to leak? The machine is only 4 months old.

When I pulled the mushroom, I soaked it, along with the other bits (including the valve) in Dezcal for 30 minutes or so and then replaced. Seems odd that it would leak all of a sudden.

#5: Post by M Diddy (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:For more detail on the subject, see these articles on my website:
Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
That page was added to my bookmarks before I bought my machine. :D

Thanks Randy!

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Seems odd that it would leak all of a sudden.
I don't disagree BUT, the only other place for the thermosyphon to leak on that machine would be via the Ulka pump and back to the reservoir. To do that, it needs to get past one check valve in the circuit itself and the check valve in the Ulka pump.

Although that valve is SORTA free to rotate until a wear pattern builds on the pin that rides the cam, you might try turning it 180 degrees but that is a "shot in the dark". Still, a five minute job when the machine is cool and then flush the thermosyphon system for 5-10 seconds and shut down for the day.
Skål,

Eric S.

#7: Post by M Diddy (original poster) »

Ordered a new valve from Chris's. I'll throw it in as soon as I get it and let you know the results.

Thanks for the help!

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

I'll throw it in as soon as I get it and let you know the results.
But only after you apply a match-heads worth of Dow 111 to the cam using a Q-tip and a much smaller amount to the valve's pin that contacts the cam.
Skål,

Eric S.

#9: Post by M Diddy (original poster) replying to erics »

Is that a necessary step Eric? Don't have any 111 right now so I'll have to order some.

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

My email is below my sig. so, send me your address.

I would, "just for the hell of it", open up the group and rotate the brew valve 180 degrees.
Skål,

Eric S.