Thermal Fuse (?) on Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PapaWhisky

#1: Post by PapaWhisky »

hi,

My five year old Silvia is acting up. I come to it in the morning and it's all cold (I leave it on 24/7).

I have to unplug and plugin the machine to revive it. This will work for a few minutes and then it will shut off and I have to repeat the procedure. Then maybe it will stay working for some time.

Before I rip into this machine, is this a common problem with a known solution?

Thanks ...

Papa

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

It should not be left on. It is not designed for that. Most likely a bad brew thermostat, but we need more information for a specific diagnoses. Does it get warm at all? Does it pump water at all? Are the lights on or do they go off? They do not have an auto-reset thermostat at all.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

PapaWhisky (original poster)

#3: Post by PapaWhisky (original poster) »

It's been left on for five years now ... i wasn't aware of a recommendation against that. (How else does one have an espresso upon waking?)

When it fails everything is off, all lights, heater, pump - everything.

It acts like there is some type of in-line fuse that gets reset when I unplug and plugin ...

kize

#4: Post by kize »

I think a standard 15 amp appliance timer would do just fine for coffee in the morning. Probably would have gained another 5 years on that girl. I'd locate a wiring diagram and start at the source with a multimeter .

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

PapaWiskey,
Wiring diagram HERE.
If the panel light does not illuminate AND the pump does not work, possible causes would include:
- bad outlet (plug it in elsewhere)
- bad power cord
- failed power switch

Single boiler machines like that one are not designed to be left on because they do not have a way to refill their boilers automatically. A small leak which may not even be noticeable can allow the boiler to run dry and damage the heating element. That is the reason for my comment.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

PapaWhisky (original poster)

#6: Post by PapaWhisky (original poster) »

So it turns out my adapter plug was intermittent.

I bought this machine in the UK and use it on a European style connection. The adapter is of an industrial nature, but apparently developed a loose connection and arced. There was burnt plastic.

Now to replace that and i guess I'll be fine

Beenbag

#7: Post by Beenbag »

You may well get her working , but again, i would recommend not leaving it on 24/7..unless yo drink coffee every hour !
You risk the t/stats failing as well as the heater element/boiler as suggested before.
a time switch or even a simple routine change to allow the 10-15 mins a Silvia takes to warm up will give you a greatly extended working life on that machine