Temperature study of Alex Duetto - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LeoZ

#21: Post by LeoZ »

so, 45mins to fully warm up, and we hav flat profiles, and quick rebound.

hows the coffee taste?

Marshall

#22: Post by Marshall replying to LeoZ »

You must have missed the subject line.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
LeoZ

#23: Post by LeoZ »

temperature drives taste. isnt that what we are after, or are espresso machines now home heating components? :)

Marshall

#24: Post by Marshall replying to LeoZ »

And because temperature "drives" taste, someone who owns or is considering buying this machine would find the information in this study quite valuable. They would have learned, among other things, that it should not be bought without a timer. If you think that is laughable without a taste study, do your own!
Marshall
Los Angeles

LeoZ

#25: Post by LeoZ »

nah, it seems more fun to just toss the coffee away after i measure its temperature. ;)

we are forgetting the intrinsic qualities that come from a machines build. regardless of 197F flat profile, the taste can differ quite a bit.

There are a lot of variables included here (and all good, from a scientific standpoint), but if there is a driving mission, i think it helps to include it.

Mole

#26: Post by Mole »

Marshall wrote:They would have learned, among other things, that it should not be bought without a timer.
I think that is a bit harsh: the same could be said of (almost) all E61 machines, certainly single and dual boiler ones. cafeIKE has already pointed out that 52 minutes is normal for a Vibiemme E61, so they are no different. Do you now offer the same advice to all E61 purchasers?
LeoZ wrote:hows the coffee taste?
To me, it is vastly better than my old Andreja Premium. However, I accept quite a bit of the responsibility for this, since I never quite got the hang of the flush amounts and rebound times (the UK version is quite slow to rebound). I also find it to be distinctly better that a friends old Alex MKII (who now also has a Duetto). He was much better with the Alex than I was with the Andreja. He also thinks that the Duetto produces a better shot than the previous Alexes.

All the best,

Martin

Marshall

#27: Post by Marshall »

Mole wrote:Marshall wrote:They would have learned, among other things, that it should not be bought without a timer.

I think that is a bit harsh: the same could be said of (almost) all E61 machines, certainly single and dual boiler ones. cafeIKE has already pointed out that 52 minutes is normal for a Vibiemme E61, so they are no different. Do you now offer the same advice to all E61 purchasers?
What is your point? The Duetto is the subject of this thread. You think with a 45-minute warmup people won't need a timer for a morning coffee for this machine? Do you think a $10 timer is an unreasonable investment?

Does everyone on this board read a comment about their machine as a personal criticism?
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
Mole

#28: Post by Mole »

Marshall wrote:What is your point? The Duetto is the subject of this thread. You think with a 45-minute warmup people won't need a timer for a morning coffee for this machine? Do you think a $10 timer is an unreasonable investment?
Of course I don't think a $10 investment is unreasonable. Nor do I think that people wanting coffee immediately in the morning won't need a timer. My point was only that you seem to be highlighting the warmup time of this particular machine more than I recall you doing for any other machine. I apologise if this is not accurate. Comments such as the following do not help:
Marshall wrote:Think I'll invest in some timer company stock before the rush starts. :D
Perhaps I just have no sense of humour :(
Marshall wrote:Does everyone on this board read a comment about their machine as a personal criticism?
Now this is harsh... I take no such personal criticism from your comments about the Duetto or any other machine.

I'll step away now and let the thread return to its intended topic.

All the best,

Martin

Marshall

#29: Post by Marshall »

Apologies, if I went overboard, there. I have a horrible tooth infection and am having root canal work tomorrow morning. Everyone is warned!
Marshall
Los Angeles

Mole

#30: Post by Mole »

Marshall wrote:I have a horrible tooth infection and am having root canal work tomorrow morning.
Oh dear, good luck with that! How long before you'll be able to sup a nice relaxing espresso? :(