Temperature on Silvia not high enough.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sgx

#1: Post by sgx »

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for 'another Silvia question'...

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I tried the obvious searching through the mass of Silvia related problems, but could not find anything the same.

In short, when I run the temp cycle up to its max, then take a reading of the water temp - by running a small mug full of water from the group-head (into a pre-heated cup!) the temp of the water is never above 155f / 66/67c. Obviously I'm looking for it to be around 200f / 93c for optimum temp, so I'm trying to find out why it's so low.

I guess the first question is - how much do you reckon the water temp is dropping from when it leaves the group head and enters the mug??

Is there a better way of doing this than I am presently doing :?

Could there be another problem here, such as the boiler control :?:

barry

#2: Post by barry »

How do your shots look/taste? If they're okay, then don't worry about it.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

sgx wrote:In short, when I run the temp cycle up to its max, then take a reading of the water temp - by running a small mug full of water from the group-head (into a pre-heated cup!) the temp of the water is never above 155f / 66/67c.
I'm with Barry on this one, but if it helps, your measurement sounds about right given your technique. Barry describes a better approach in Seeking low tech way to measure brew temperature.
Dan Kehn

sgx (original poster)

#4: Post by sgx (original poster) »

Dan / Barry,

Thanks guys...
Good call on the technique - I'll give it a go and see if it gives me a more accurate result!

Barry, I take it you just leave the reading bit of the therm sticking out the side of the cup, so you can read off the temp while the water enters the foam cup right?? I guess you just need to be nimble fingered to avoid getting scorched!