Tamper size for La Marzocco baskets

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gtrman

#1: Post by gtrman »

I'm about to buy a couple LM baskets (single and double). On espressoparts.com, they have the single basket, and double ridged basket listed as 57mm baskets, but the double ridgeless as a 58mm. So, for the single, and ridged double, I would need to also buy a 57mm tamper, right?
My other concern is, where these are listed as 57mm baskets, will they not fit into a standard 58mm portafilter?
Lastly, is there any functional difference between the ridged and ridgeless double baskets?

Thanks
-jeff
Jeff Hall

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The LM basket has a "wasp waist," so EPNW recommends a 57mm tamper. A 58mm tamper cannot tamp past the narrower portion of the basket. I've used 58mm tampers with it, but it will bind if you downdose. The so-called "LM Ridgeless," well, it isn't a LM basket at all, but that's what Terry referred to it long ago and the name stuck. It's actually a ridgeless Faema-style basket (Ascaso).

All the above baskets fit a standard 58mm portafilter. There's no functional difference per se between ridgeless and ridged. Some prefer the reference line the ridge offers, others like the ease with which one can remove the ridgeless basket.
Dan Kehn

Phaelon56

#3: Post by Phaelon56 »

It's also worth noting that in a commercial cafe environment where the puck is thumped out many, many times every day - it's nice to have the spring clip and ridge that locks the basket more securely into the PF. Removing the basket to clean the PF is a cinch. Just stick a butter knife, the edge of another basket or any other thin flat metal edge in between the basket and the PF and give a quick twist. The ridged basket pops out quite easily.

Caffewerks

#4: Post by Caffewerks »

HB wrote:The LM basket has a "wasp waist," so EPNW recommends a 57mm tamper. A 58mm tamper cannot tamp past the narrower portion of the basket. I've used 58mm tampers with it, but it will bind if you downdose. The so-called "LM Ridgeless," well, it isn't a LM basket at all, but that's what Terry referred to it long ago and the name stuck. It's actually a ridgeless Faema-style basket (Ascaso).

All the above baskets fit a standard 58mm portafilter. There's no functional difference per se between ridgeless and ridged. Some prefer the reference line the ridge offers, others like the ease with which one can remove the ridgeless basket.

Actually it is Ascaso part number MZ.107 which would make it a Marzocco basket. Maybe it has a Faema profile? Is this CG, where the hack am I?

Bottom line it is a basket that fits in a PF without a ridge to get in the way of a tamp and the best part it works. I suggest we call it "Chunk of Stainless steel"

Smile it's friday!

gtrman (original poster)

#5: Post by gtrman (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies all. I ordered the ridged LM single and double baskets, and also a ridgeless 18g basket, the one that mentions Synesso in the description. Can't wait to try 'em out!
Jeff Hall

Coffeegeekwannabee

#6: Post by Coffeegeekwannabee »

I am going to take advantage of some of the great deals being offered through HB advertisers, one of them being baskets.
I do have a few questions.
I want to try a ridgeless basket. I know that the ridgeless is often referred to as the LM ridgeless. Great Infusions has a ridgeless and a LM basket (which actually looks ridged). Does LM make a ridged and unridged?
Also there is a fine screen basket offered. What is a fine screen basket used for?

Thank you for answering what are I am sure very basic questions.

Lori

jesawdy

#7: Post by jesawdy »

Hi and welcome to HB...

I merged your question here as this thread probably answers your question above. Also, see "Synesso" (or whatever) basket vs LM basket and The importance of the filter basket, should I consider a different one?

I think I am going to order the LM ridged and LM single baskets myself.
Jeff Sawdy

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

jesawdy wrote:I think I am going to order the LM ridged and LM single baskets myself.
I was thinking the same thing. What's the tamper piston size for a La Marzocco single basket?
Dan Kehn

jesawdy

#9: Post by jesawdy »

If this thread, Ways to a great single espresso with a single basket, is correct, 40mm.
Philblack wrote:Equipment:
1. A naked portafilter (no need for presentation)
2. A "La Marzocco" single basket which is the best single basket I ever used
3. A 40 mm tamper especially for the basket (steel or aluminum and not the one shipped with your machine)
Which of course means one of these :roll: :

Reg Barber Duet
Jeff Sawdy

opother

#10: Post by opother »

This is all interesting and that Reg Barber tamper looks great (one of the most useful pieces of how to info in this thread) unfortunately I see a lot of great suggestions without any relevant info on how to implement these great suggestions, not only in this thread but others on many different topics, hence my resurrection of this thread.

For instance, aside from ordering a custom tamper. Where in bogoonzas are you able to get your hands on a 40mm tamper for a thrifty or maybe not so thrifty price?

I pulled a pretty decent single on my Brewtus using your suggestions (A LM single basket with an equivalent 40mm tamping improvisation and a tight tamp.) It tasted a lot like a shot from my La Pavoni Europiccola. The first two attempts were with the standard 58mm tamper which did not do well for the job.

On the third try I substituted a flipped over small glass goya garlic powder bottle and tamped tightly with the round plastic lid. I could not polish because the plastic lid has a fold open door (for sprinkling the spice.) The shot was not perfect but quite decent and delicious.

Spice jars may very well be the solution to the world's problems but I would still like to know the specifics of obtaining this mystery 40mm tamper that some people like to gloat about.

So back to google and ebay searches which I have been doing for about a week so far (maybe I missed something.)

I just checked out the Reg Barber Duet although it's no bargain the price is not bad, however I can't find any options for choosing different configurations and sizes for the top and bottom bases. I do not want the top and bottom bases to be the same size. I want a standard 58mm and a 40mm both with C Ripple configurations (I think.)

I shot Reg Barber company an email regarding I hope to hear back from them soon.

Does any one have any opinions on the C Ripple Configuration.