Synesso Baskets - group buy!! - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#81: Post by HB »

Thanks Jon, the two baskets I ordered arrived today! The smaller one is indeed the same as the one I had in my drawer (the "LM Ridgeless" from EPNW), but the 18 gram basket is deeper than any of my other ridgeless baskets. Sort of in between the double and triple basket.

Now I have more than enough basket combinations to keep me amused for quite some time... :)
Dan Kehn

JonR10 (original poster)

#82: Post by JonR10 (original poster) »

HB wrote:The smaller one is indeed the same as the one I had in my drawer (the "LM Ridgeless" from EPNW), but the 18 gram basket is deeper than any of my other ridgeless baskets.
Is the smaller one identical in every way, even the hole pattern stamping?

HB
Admin

#83: Post by HB »

I reported earlier having two ridgeless 14 gram baskets. The one that I got from 1st-line long ago and Luca suggested was the Ascaso brand, which matches my memory of the invoice. The second ridgeless was from EPNW, which they call a "LM Ridgeless." I really have to squint hard, but on close inspection it's apparent that the Synesso / EPNW LM Ridgeless holes are the same and the Ascaso's are different. The former appear to have been embossed with a criss-cross pattern before the holes were punched out (really guessing, I don't know the manufacturers' techniques). The result is a hole that looks more like a hexagon than a round divot.

That 18 gram basket looks huge next to the stock Faema-style 14 gram. At first I thought it was a triple. :shock:
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#84: Post by Compass Coffee »

JonR10 wrote:Not only is it larger than a standard double and can still fit a standard E16 PF, but the slight tapered shape seems to help promote more even extractions than the more straight sided 21 gram basket (according to the guy at Synesso). MarkP from CoffeeGeek sez these baskets are made of slightly heavier-gauge stainless and that the hole pattern is more even and uniform as well.
It may fit a standard E61 PF but does not fit a Rancilio Pro PF (which fits and works perfectly in Bricoletta E61 group) and does not fit two different clone E61 PFs, one from ESPN and one from Chris' Coffee. It does of course fit the nekkid, but that defeats the purpose. :cry:
Mike McGinness

JonR10 (original poster)

#85: Post by JonR10 (original poster) »

Compass Coffee wrote:It does of course fit the nekkid, but that defeats the purpose. :cry:
Shoot. It does fit my most shallow PF (the Wega) and it fits my Gaggia PF too, but the Gaggia is deeper so I figured it would.

Sorry - if you want to return it I will refund your full purchase price. Many many people have already said they would buy any extras so it's no trouble at all and you only have to pay shipping one way (back to me).

That of course goes for everyone who got these. If you want to return (a 14g or 18g) just contact me.
I can't take back the triples 21g or the singles 7g though.

dk

#86: Post by dk »

I received the baskets today and they fit nicely on my Vetrano portafilter, I have not yet tried on the naked Rancilio that I have.

I will pull the first shots tomorrow morning.

Jon thanks again for doing this!!
"Does the Sun Come up before that Doppio, I think not"

hperry

#87: Post by hperry »

Baskets arrived today. First test tommorow. They really look like triples. Thanks Jon! I know you put a lot of work into this. I don't think anyone expects warranty service for the few bucks we paid. You've already gone "above and beyond."
Hal Perry

HunkaBurninLove

#88: Post by HunkaBurninLove »

Also got mine today, JonR. Looking forward to using them in the morning.

Excuse my noobiness, but how does this 18g basket defeat the purpose of using it in the naked PF?

JonR10 (original poster)

#89: Post by JonR10 (original poster) »

HunkaBurninLove wrote:Also got mine today, JonR. Looking forward to using them in the morning.
I'm very interested to know your impressions so please post....

HunkaBurninLove wrote:Excuse my noobiness, but how does this 18g basket defeat the purpose of using it in the naked PF?
I think he was saying that he wanted to use the 18g basket in a spouted PF and so that purpose is defeated.

greedus

#90: Post by greedus »

Hey Jon,

I missed out on the original buy and am still interested in an 18 gr. basket. Should any one return one, let me know.

regards,

pete