Switching side of steam wand on Vibiemme Domobar Jr HX

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
khestehave

#1: Post by khestehave »

Hi
I am looking to buy a Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX but I have an issue with the placement of the steam wand. You see I basically only make Latte's so I steam milk quite frequently, but the thing is that the only place I can have my machine located has a wall to the left of the machine and since the Domo's steam wand is over there it's probably going to be an issue. It's not right now with my '04 Silvia since it has the wand on the right side. So I've been thinking and looking a lot at my friends Domo and I figure that it would be possible to simply switch around the steam wand an hot water spout + the internal piping. No? Has anyone ever done this on any machine? I know that the steam wand isn't symmetrical and therefore needs some bending, but I think I can deal with that (we have a metal fabrication shop at work). I was going to simply dismantle the wand and spout, bend the wand and switch and refit. Then open her up and measure out for new copper piping inside and replace with new pipes. But does anyone see any other issues in doing this?
Looking forward to hearing anyones thoughts
Later
KH

allon

#2: Post by allon »

See:
Switching places of steam and water valve

The capsule summary - theoretically possible, but a lot of work and probably not worth it on most machines.

On the Domobar, you'd have to route the plumbing around - here's an exploded diagram:
http://www.espressocare.com/images/Vibi ... sploso.jpg

I believe #4 is steam and #13 is water. You'd have to build pipes to swap them around.
LMWDP #331

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

The image in the link above is for a Vibiemme Domobar Super HX, not the Junior. The Jr is more compact, but possibly more straight forward to re-route.

khestehave (original poster)

#4: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Thanks guys...:o)

khestehave (original poster)

#5: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Hi there

Just wanted to provide the latest on the steam wand switch-a-roo. It's harder than it looks on a VBM Domo Junior HX. I opened up Domo this past weekend and it turns out the steam tubing is a different dimension (6mm OD) than the hot water tubing (4mm OD), so it takes a bit more skill than I possess to do such a mod.

Check out the pics in my other post: First day with Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX

Later

Klaus