Swagelok RL3 Install on Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bobonit

#1: Post by bobonit »

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so be gentle :wink:

I have a fairly new Rancilio Silvia, manufactured in January 2008. It works great with the exception of the usual temperature surfing needed to pull a good shot. I have a PID kit from Jim Gallt on order which should be here towards the end of this week to remedy that problem. Once the PID is installed, my next project is to install a Pressure Gauge which I'm pretty sure I know how to do from reading the many posts on the subject in this forum.

While reading those many posts, I also read up on the Swagelok RL3 Adjustable Relief Valve. I was lucky enough to find a brand new open box RL3 for $37 so I jumped on it (didn't need it, its a sickness). SO, my plan now is to replace the stock Silvia OPV with the Swagelok SS-RL3M4-F4 which has a male 1/4-NPT inlet and a female 1/4-NPT outlet.

This is where I am unsure of myself. The stock OPV has 3 connections. Inlet from pump, Outlet to boiler and a tube going back to the water reservoir. The Swagelok only has Inlet and Outlet. My idea is to connect the Outlet of the Pump to a Tee. The Tee will then split between the Swagelok RL3 and the Boiler. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Bob.
Give me all your crapachino !!!

gscace

#2: Post by gscace »

Yeah, that's the program. The outlet of the RL3 should go to back to the tank, or to the drain tray if you don't wanna recycle the water.

It's pretty convenient to install the tee in the plastic line between the pump and the boiler. Swagelok makes 6mm swagelok to 1/4 NPT fittings in both brass and stainless steel.

Works pretty good! You'll also need a pressure gauge so that you can set the RL3 properly. You might use a cross instead of a tee in the pump delivery line so that you can include the pressure gauge.

-Greg

bobonit (original poster)

#3: Post by bobonit (original poster) »

Greg,

I didn't even think of using a cross, that will make the Gauge install easier, thanks. The line I have going from pump to boiler has stainless steel braiding on it. Is that necessary or can I just replace it with a
6mm line and use swagelok fittings on each end of it?

For the Pressure Gauge I was thinking of the Wika 213.53 Liquid Filled from the Gaugestore.

Thanks, Bob.

gscace

#4: Post by gscace »

Hi there:

My Silvia, which is pretty old, didn't have a stainless braid on the outside of the tube. Dunno what the inner material is on the braided tube compared to mine, so it's hard to say if it's necessary or not. You seem to have some sense, so use your good judgement.

That gauge is the same one I used, I think. The temperature rating is fine for installation upstream of the boiler.

jesawdy

#5: Post by jesawdy »

bobonit wrote:The line I have going from pump to boiler has stainless steel braiding on it. Is that necessary or can I just replace it with a
6mm line and use swagelok fittings on each end of it?
I think my Silvia has a nylon or similar braid around the tube. I assume that it is for cut, kink and possibly a tad bit of thermal protection. If you take care in your routing, I think you can lose the braid.
Jeff Sawdy

bobonit (original poster)

#6: Post by bobonit (original poster) »

I think I will try using a non-braided teflon hose as a replacement. Not only will it use less space, I think it may even reduce some of noise created when brewing. That braided hose vibrates as much as the pump and it touches the heat shield between the boiler and reservoir. I'll just use some insulation around the area where it goes through the shield to prevent any wear.

Thanks for the tips !!

andrewpetre

#7: Post by andrewpetre »

Any chance to see some pictures of the completed work? I don't mind a private link if you're not into posting them. But I'm considering a similar modification and am unclear about the routing and what you end up with at the boiler inlet.

Thanks!