Support Coffee Kids with espresso cupping device

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AndyS

#1: Post by AndyS »

PLEASE NOTE: I NO LONGER HAVE THE MATERIALS TO MAKE THESE THINGS, SO THE OFFER IS NO LONGER VALID. THANK YOU. AndyS 12-28-08
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When trying to understand why their espresso tastes the way it does, there's a trick baristas use that often makes it easier. As a shot progresses, they slide a new cup under the portafilter stream every five or six seconds. Then, when the cups are tasted in order, they reveal a sort of "time-lapse" portrait of how the different portions of the extraction contribute to the overall taste.

The Specialty Coffee Association sells a little sliding stand that holds three small glasses and makes the process easier to manage. But this is only three portions, and Mark Prince recently asked if anyone knew of a stand that held five or six.

So I made one and sent it to him. He liked it and posted some lovely photos on Flickr. When a few people asked if they could get the same device, I pondered how to make it happen. Then I got the idea that this could be a nice way to help support Coffee Kids, the children's coffee charity.

If you're interested, I'll make one for you, too. Here's how it works:

1. Go to the Coffee Kids website donation page.
2. Make an "Individual" donation in the "Donate Any Amount Once" box for $35.50 (or more if you wish). You can use Paypal or a charge card.
3. In the comments box, put the word "Schectermatic." Make sure you enter your correct shipping address.
4. If you don't want to make the donation online, send a check for at least $35.50 (made out to Coffee Kids) to Coffee Kids, Attn: Heather, 1305 Luisa St., Suite C, Santa Fe, NM 87505. Put "Schectermatic" in the little note line on the bottom of the check. Make sure you include your correct shipping address.
5. Heather from Coffee Kids will forward the names and shipping addresses to me and I will make and send you an espresso cupping set within two weeks (no further charge to you).
6. It's been suggested that your tax deduction may be reduced by the net value of this set, nominally $25. I don't know for sure, I'm not a tax attorney.

By way of clarification, Coffee Kids keeps your entire donation. There's no "kickback" to me for this.

In the happy instance where I get overwhelmed with requests, I might have to suspend this offer. But meanwhile, please help support Coffee Kids and I hope you enjoy your cupping set.

The set consists of six shot glasses and a heavy plastic block that is bored out to retain the glasses. Not fancy, but very practical and as Mark says, works great.

NOW SHIPPING TO THE AMERICAS, EU AND AUSTRALIA/NZ. PLEASE ENQUIRE ABOUT SHIPPING TO OTHER INTERNATIONAL LOCALES.

And thanks for the opportunity to support Coffee Kids!
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Caffewerks

#2: Post by Caffewerks »

Ordered mine today. Thank's Andy!

AndyS (original poster)

#3: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

terryz wrote:Ordered mine today. Thank's Andy!
Thanks Terry!
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

espressoperson

#4: Post by espressoperson »

Andy,

Package just arrived! Looking forward to trying it. Thank you for your efforts in finding such a neat way to support this worthwhile cause.
michaelb, lmwdp 24

Ken Fox

#5: Post by Ken Fox »

I got mine too. I'm going to use it for single malt tastings.

Thanks, Andy!

:mrgreen:
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Mine showed up too. My wife asked if it was for tequila parties. :lol:
Dan Kehn

AndyS (original poster)

#7: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

Ken Fox wrote:I'm going to use it for single malt tastings
Dan wrote:My wife asked if it was for tequila parties.
You guys are obviously far more creative than me when it comes to finding uses for these things. :)
-AndyS

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

HB wrote:Mine showed up too. My wife asked if it was for tequila parties. :lol:
I knew there was a reason I liked you. The single malt sounds good as well, I just may crack a bottle this evening.
Dave Stephens

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

I received mine today! :D Saturday delivery and I am very happy with the quality and it shall soon be in use. I could not make it for a comparable price.
Thanks for the idea and the gift of it to Coffee Kids.
sincerely
richard

AndyS (original poster)

#10: Post by AndyS (original poster) »

espressme wrote:I received mine today! :D Saturday delivery and I am very happy with the quality and it shall soon be in use.
Great to hear that Richard. It is amazing how the individual segments of the shot can taste so different!
-AndyS