Suggest a rotary pump for brewtus III and steam switch off

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
novyan

#1: Post by novyan »

Hi guys,

I have mine came with vibe pump and I want to upgrade it to the rotary one, can somebody suggest me what brand, model that fit my brewtus III? Thanks a lot.

And btw, I like the idea of having another switch to turn the steam boiler off, I don't I need the latte that much. is there any schematic of the latest brewtus floating around? thanks.
LMWDP #343

duke-one

#2: Post by duke-one »

Only from the electrical end of your post: any switch of proper capacity (voltage and amperage) in series with the steam boiler heater should do the trick. A "motor" pump will in all probability need a relay to handle the load, though I've not seen the nameplate current draw on any of them, I imagine they draw more watts then a vibe pump. As to the fit in the case or a remote pump and the appropriate plumbing I can't say.
KDM

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

No snark intended at all, but both of your points are exactly what led me to the Duetto as well as other things. I studied up on the Brewtus for quite a while as a contender for a while before making my choice.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

novyan (original poster)

#4: Post by novyan (original poster) »

Thanks duke-one! sorry for a very slow response.

Ah yes, this heavy duty dp3t toggle will do the job http://www.aftermarketgroup.com/index.p ... -duty.html. So no need any drilling, Up position to kick the machine with its steaming job, center is off, down is just for an espresso. Or could use a rotary switch too. As for the Rotary pump, looking for the NFO of one that fit the space. Brewtus IV owner should have its particular brand and model in its machine.

Edit:
My mistake, brewtus IV doesn't come w/ rotary pump, but I heard one at least manage to change it to a rotary pump.
LMWDP #343

novyan (original poster)

#5: Post by novyan (original poster) »

Update;

Adding switch for the boiler will not work with BIII (not mine!). The the brew boiler wouldn't start heating, I think it wait for the steam boiler to get pressurized or heated(?) then the pressurestat will let the brew boiler do its job (Something to do with above and below 1.2bar-page 9 brewtus compendium?). Any one knows how to get around this? Will it work by reversing the connection between above and below 1.2 bar?? maybe an alex duetto schematic will help.
LMWDP #343

Jeepin' Geo

#6: Post by Jeepin' Geo »

novyan wrote:(Something to do with above and below 1.2bar-page 9 brewtus compendium?). Any one knows how to get around this? Will it work by reversing the connection between above and below 1.2 bar?? maybe an alex duetto schematic will help.
novyan,

From the diagram in the compendium, it looks like a SPDT switch would give you what you want. If your Brewtus matches this:

1. Disconnect the white wire (left side of PStat in diagram) and connect it to the COM terminal of the SPDT switch.
2. Connect one output terminal of the switch to the PStat connection that you just removed the white wire from (this will be the normal operating mode).
3. Connect the other output terminal of the switch to terminal 9 of the Temp Control box (this will effectively bypass the PStat, disable the steam function and allow uninterupted brew boiler control).
EDIT: You could alternatively tie this into the connection point labeled 'Above 1.2Bar' on the PStat.

Before doing any of this, verify your Brewtus matches the diagram form the compendium. And of course double check everything before powering back up!

George

novyan (original poster)

#7: Post by novyan (original poster) »

Hi George,

Thanks for the NFO, sorry I didn't know I got an answer. Again, thanks a lot, I'll try and let you know how it goes.
LMWDP #343

Todd Salzman
Sponsor

#8: Post by Todd Salzman »

I have a PDF that shows exactly how to convert any Brewtus with a vibration pump to a rotary pump. It has complete parts list with instructions on how to do it. I can't post it here because it is a PDF but if you need a copy please e mail me at todd@wholelattelove.com
Todd Salzman
Todd Salzman
Whole Latte Love

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

For the convenience of HB members, I've uploaded the instructions Todd mentioned:

/downloads/ ... 2-2011.pdf

Thanks Todd!
Dan Kehn