Suddenly not getting crema on my shots

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
evahflow

#1: Post by evahflow »

I have a DeLonghi ec 155 that is about 5 months old. I'm aware that isn't the best machine but all I need right now is something that is serviceable and inexpensive at home. I have always gotten thick crema no matter the bean or grind i've used and usually use the same stuff and have had no issue before. Now all of a sudden I don't get any crema anymore and can't figure out what is wrong. I've searched to find an answer and it seems most people say beans or grind but why would it have worked perfectly for so long no matter the bean or grind? I'm thinking it has something to do with the machine. Has anyone had a similar issue and is there a way to fix it?(replacement parts ect?) Thank you in advance for any help.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

It could be a temperature problem, but no crema even though the flow looks normal is almost always caused by stale coffee. If the machine has an enhanced portafilter, it might be having a problem of some sort. What grinder are you using (he asks, cringing)?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

The any coffee any grind comment screams pressurized portafilter which means you were never actually getting crema, just frothed coffee. The pressurized portafilter has probably developed an issue and is not pressurizing.
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Like Dave says, a pressurized portafilter doesn't produce crema per se, it's more like "coffee froth". A failing pump could be the cause, since low pressure = no aeration = no coffee froth.
Dan Kehn