Stove-top bike-pump modification

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
vtspresso

#1: Post by vtspresso »

Hi all,
For picture/video, check out:
I'm new to the homemade espresso world, but after learning to enjoy really good espresso made by others, I realized how dissatisfied I was with my cheap stove-top maker. I did some research and found the ideal temperatures and pressures for espresso, and realized that the stove-top maker was failing miserably on both those fronts (way too hot, far too little pressure).

So, first I got rid of the stove part and attached my own pressure source (a Coke bottle with a bike-pump hookup). Now I can precisely control the temperature & pressure to the degree/psi. All I can say is that it makes an incredible cup of espresso.

Cheers!
Taylor

Beenbag

#2: Post by Beenbag »

..I think you are pushing your luck if you are putting 7 bar pressure into that coke bottle !

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

I think you should be commended for your ingenuity! Especially if it makes a beverage you enjoy. I just hope you're allowing your home roasts to rest before using them.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

vtspresso (original poster)

#4: Post by vtspresso (original poster) »

I was worried about that initially, but all the sources I could find indicate that Coca-Cola representatives say all their bottles are rated to at least 150 psi (a little more than 10 bar) - an industry standard. There is also evidence that the smaller bottles can hold higher pressure still with some sources saying up to 200+ psi.

Thanks for your concern though!

Beenbag

#5: Post by Beenbag »

As an "industry " technical guy i can tell you the pressure requirement for those bottles is 6 bar (minimum).
They will hold beyond that , but remember that is for a fresh made , unused, undamaged, bottle.
just be careful, when they let go at that pressure, it can do damage !

tamarian

#6: Post by tamarian »

This is so simple, it is beautiful.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

Why not use a PID-controlled small, portable electric air pump? ;-)
Seriously, trade out the coke bottle for a paintball gun bottle.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Aaron

#8: Post by Aaron »

Besides your homemade bomb Coke bottle that was already commented on, that is a cool setup!! Cheap and ingenious!
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

Godshot+1

#9: Post by Godshot+1 »

Great stuff, love it!
Could you post the exact parts you used, besides the bialetti and coke can?

pechelman

#10: Post by pechelman »

Moka pots aren't designed to see 9-10 bar.

Surely, once fatigue sets in you WILL blow that plastic bottle, but I would also be cautious with that moka pot.

You are pressurizing it through the pressure release valve....
Surely that should raise a few yellow or red flags.