Stock Livietta Steam Wand Difficult - Silvia Wand Great!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dumpshot »

This thread won't shed much light on anything that hasn't been talked about before, but will serve as a link to a now cIosed thread from a couple of years ago and as a big THANK YOU to HB member jonny, Orphan Espresso, and others for their trailblazing mod work.

I recently refurbished a 1981 Livietta. I have been enjoying the espresso, learning the cooling flush techniques and generally having fun with it and the good but different espresso compared to my VAM. The impetus for buying the Livietta was that I was looking for a beginner's refurb project that wouldn't break the bank, was well documented by others, and would result in a machine that kicked ass for years to come. And the Livietta/Coffex/Maximatic checks all those boxes. I also wanted a machine with good steam power to make my wife her morning cappuccino (I am generally a straight espresso guy).

I got the well worn original steam wand re-chromed. It looks beautiful. But after six months of trying to master it, I gave up. The four hole tip is untameable. I freely admit that others may be able to tame it, but I am done! So I revisited Olympia Cremina Steam Wand/Tip Alternatives thread from four years ago. I followed jonny's precedures and had that thing changed out in no time. I made one cappuccino for my wife and got my first 'sho nuff mixed all the way through' microfoam. It was that easy!

I waited six months before I made this move because I was so enamored with the re-chromed original wand. I was worried that the new one would ruin the look of the machine. But, I have to say that I really don't mind it at all. What do you think? (Crappy picture). Regardless, the proof is in the steam pitcher. :)
Pete
LMWDP #484

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

My guess is that it looks better live. Closeups with wide angle lenses accentuate the closest object, the wand in this case. Gives it a Borg appendage look. The Livietta and it's variations are nice little machines, especially the brass boiler versions. Probably become a family heirloom.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Slightly better photo.

LMWDP #484

RAS

#4: Post by RAS »

Pete,

As you say, the proof is in the...

If it works for you, you need NO ONE to give you feedback. Keep making great steamed milk, and enjoy this great machine. I have one also, and was able to tame the dragon to make both great espresso and silky-steamed-milk. But I also turned down my PSTAT to ~0.8-1.0 BAR. Not sure that's your issue. Olympia sure did arm these machines with loads of (steaming) power.

Again though, if you've found a solution that works for you - welcome to the odd-ballers club. Each of us finds a solution that works for us. I hope you get more feedback that keeps you pointed in the succussful direction that you're currently headed in.
Bob

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

2nd pic shows the scale much better. Actually, think it looks better than the stock one. Had fun refurbing mine and working with it for a bit, but never warmed up to the steaming(pun intended).
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits