Steam wand dryness adjustment??

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
matt1203

#1: Post by matt1203 »

my steam comes out a bit wet when I first release the steam, is it possible to make adjustment?

Thanks

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

I don't think I've ever seen instructions for making steamed milk on any machine that did not start with the need to evacuate the moisture in the steam wand. I think they all start with condensation in there that you have to get rid of. Does yours stay wet after this initial venting of the moisture? What kind of machine do you have?

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mitch236 »

Yup, even on the high end commercial machines, you need to blast out the condensation before you get dry steam. I usually blast into a wet rag before steaming because I don't like hot water blasting out all over the place.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

lowering your boiler water level will dry up steam but that will also reduce the power of the steam. Moisture in the steam wand is normal and you should do a quick 2-3 second purge on any machine before steaming.
Dave Stephens

matt1203 (original poster)

#5: Post by matt1203 (original poster) »

Thanks all..
Hi Mitch, even your strada blast out hot water in the beginning?

mine do get dry steam, but I need to blast out hot water every time while I leave the machine on for while not using it.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

That's normal.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

Definitely normal. Steam is water (I know... Duh!), but when you turn off the wand the moisture in the wand condenses. Also, there is a lot of steam in the boiler (double duh) and in the area outside the boiler and in the wand's plumbing, if that metal is less than the boiling point, the steam condenses there as well. The other benefit of blasting the water out and being sure that the steam is dry is that it heats the wand so there is less condensation while steaming and more energy is applied to the milk (Duh, duh-duh, duh-duh-duh, duhhhhhh!) [that was a fanfare].
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

Basically, you want the tip of your steam wand to be as close to the steam temp as the vapor leaving the boiler (well above the point of boiling water), which takes a few seconds of purging in order to equilibrate as closely as reasonably possible. The majority of the wand is barely above room temp when the valve is closed. When opened, within seconds, not only has the boilers pressure pushed all residual condensed water out of the path of the steam (hence making it "dryer") it has also rapidly heated the entire path that the steam travels and brings it up to a tighter gradient of temp difference of the boiler.

Simply put, purge for a few seconds and you'll be good.

A simple search before posting your question would have provided answers like the following.

How to Steam Milk for Cappuccinos and Lattes [video]
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

matt1203 (original poster)

#9: Post by matt1203 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the informative answers. :D

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

And now, for a very contrasting answer - try steaming WITHOUT purging the wand one bit. Milk is about 85-90 percent water to begin with and the amount of condensate (water) you would be adding to the steaming pitcher is minimal. Sure, some machines more than others due to the length of the path from boiler to wand tip but still, a small amount.

I'm currently using a stock Bezzera Strega and steaming 4.5 ounces of 1% milk 3 to 4 times each morning. I stopped purging the wand several months ago and still produce excellent microfoam each time. It may just be the "luck of the draw" :)

You don't say what machine you are steaming with and that would make a difference as regards adjustments, if any, to the pre-steaming water level.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com