Steam joystick wand for Izzo Duetto vs others?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I've got the steam joystick wand on the way from CCS. I just wanted to be able to have full steam power quicker than turning the valve for the stock rotary steam knob. I figured it would be a fun and easy upgrade.

I want to get a nice wood joystick wand from Dave to go along with the others he's made for me, and I'm wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of how the joystick build compares to other manufacturers? Are they basically universal? I've already got a question in to Dave as to whether or not he needs it in hand before he can make it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has used one or can comment.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

I got the joysticks as an upgrade for my Duetto as well. The build quality is good, although there's no chrome on the ball part of the valve, which makes them look a bit crude to me.

The bigger problem I have with them is that the area where the wand comes out of the valve sticks out a bit more than with the stock wand. Since the drip tray on the Duetto is already pretty high, the steam wand sticks out so much it tends to hit the drip tray, especially when you purge the wand into the drip tray. So I ended up changing back to the stock wand for the steam wand. The hot water wand doesn't stick out as much, so I left the joystick on that side. It looks a bit mismatched, but works fine.
Lock and load!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

It would have been nice to be able to buy the joystick assembly without the whole steam arm and tip. I have already replaced mine with a LM FB-80 steam wand and the Spiroline vortex tip. I'm expecting to be able to get it to match up with the new joystick assembly. If not, I might have to return it.

I wouldn't have expected the ball valve to be chromed, if it were, it would likely chip and wear off with use anyway.

Good to hear about the steam wand clearance. I've always purged into a towel instead of the drip tray though. I like the thickness of the joystick knobs. Somehow I had imagined the types made for the Elektra T1 or A3. As long as I can get custom wood knobs made, I'll be a happy guy and someone here will be happy to get a deal on a ready to go mint set of classic rotary knobs.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

It is a standard M8 threaded handle just like the brew lever on any E61 machine. The controls are just a little longer than the brew lever. Look at a Bezzera Strega, they are the same steam/water controls.
Dave Stephens

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Awesome, thanks Dave. Check your inbox and get back to me about an order when you have time.

Alphadork

#6: Post by Alphadork »

Beezer wrote: The build quality is good, although there's no chrome on the ball part of the valve, which makes them look a bit crude to me.
I'm looking at making this same upgrade - is there any chance you could post a photo of the part that's not chromed? I'd like to visualize what you're writing about. Thanks in advance! :lol:

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

The ball is an internal part of the valve assembly.
Dave Stephens

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Picture your own femur and the head of it which fits into your hipbone to allow rotation. That will give you a mental picture. It's the standard design on any movable steam wand.

And, as an update, I'm very happy I made the change. It was a very worthwhile upgrade.